Friday, March 15, 2013

Anniversary Times Three

Yesterday was one of the best days ever.  Seriously, it was fantastic.  Jack and I celebrated our three year anniversary in style.  The day started off with a wonderful breakfast made by my dear while I was working out.  He used some biscuits, mozzarella cheese, and egg whites to create these little bombshells.  We had an array of toppings from sour cream, ketchup, and mustard.

IMG_1311

Great way to start the day and a nice way to refuel too!  We then waited around for the cable guy to come and figure out what was wrong with my DVR.  This is my fourth cable box/DVR combo in a month.  I’m less than pleased.  I just wish things would work for longer than a few days or weeks!

The first unexpected thing happened just before the cable guy arrived.  I received some promising correspondence from a job opportunity!  I don’t want to jinx things so I’m going to keep it under wraps for now.  Please keep your fingers crossed!!

New DVR installed, we took off to a doctor’s appointment for me.  We arrived a bit early and got coffee to kill the time.  I got the new hazelnut macchiato and Jack had a java chip frap.  Yay caffeine.  After the doc visit, we hit up Walmart for some groceries.  I do love shopping with this man.  It feels so normal, like we actually are around each other for more than two days at a time.  Upon completion of said grocery shopping, we stopped by a local Qdoba for lunch.  Jack had only told me that we had dinner reservations at 7:15 so we both needed something to tide us over.  I ordered a taco salad with chicken and salsa verde.  Sour cream and salsa picante ranch on the side for dipping and dabbing.

IMG_1312

Obviously I liked it.  It was half gone before I remembered to photograph it!  It also did it’s job and kept me satisfied until dinner.  Just before we left for dinner, the second piece of unexpected awesomeness happened.  I found out that I’M GOING TO BE PUBLISHED!!!!!

IMG_1325

The American Journal of Medical Genetics picked up my graduate project for publication.  I’m going to be a first author in a national journal.  How amazing?!  Hard work really does pay off.  I’ll admit I cried a few tears of joy.  I was overcome with emotion.  I really needed some good news and this was perfect!  Little did I know I was going to cry a few more times over the course of the night.  I’m such a sap!

Jack and I headed to dinner and had a hard time trying to figure out how to get up to the penthouse where the restaurant was located.  Fairly sure we tried three sets of elevators.  We did finally make it there though and Jack had a bottle of sparkling moscato waiting for us. 

IMG_1313IMG_1320IMG_1314IMG_1318

What a sweet man.  And a handsome one at that.  Just look at him!

IMG_1316

With him looking so dapper, I had to doll myself up to match.  I chose a dress for the occasion and was pleasantly surprised that the restaurant was warm enough that I didn’t need a sweater the entire time!

IMG_1317

We decided to take our time and order to our hearts content.  We know how to do long dinners, people.  Our average time at The Melting Pot is somewhere north of three hours.  Here at The Eagle’s Nest, we spend just as long.  We began with a pair of starters: the crab cakes and an arugula and roasted pear salad.

IMG_1321

The crab cakes were amazing with big chunks of crab and not too much breading.  And the salad, holy smokes!  The pear was stuffed with a herbed goat cheese and then wrapped in smoked pork belly.  Plus I swear the pecan balsamic dressing was crack.  It was probably the best part of the whole thing!  Next up, and maybe a half hour later and that much darker, we had the parmesan truffle steak fries.  I mean seriously, were we supposed to pass these babies up?

IMG_1323

So glad we didn’t.  They were lush, crisp, and steamy.  Plus, how can you not love the cute little ketchup that came with them!  At this point the restaurant had rotated enough (yes, the entire penthouse rotates 360 degrees for a totally unique dining experience and a full view of the city) to bring us face to face with some real tall buildings.

IMG_1322

Gorgeous views the whole night.  Around this time we had contemplated our entrees and asked our server for a wine recommendation.  After some discussion, we got a nice bottle of smooth pinot noir. 

IMG_1324

Turned out that this wine was the perfect compliment to the big plates we ordered.  Jack got the filet and lobster tail with parmesan potato gratin and a sherry thyme reduction while I indulged in the pork osso bucco.  I had a ridiculously delish mascarpone corn polenta pillow underneath my pork too which was easily the best part of the dish.  I could swim in it!

IMG_1327IMG_1328

There was also some fantastic crusty bread and soft rolls with sundried tomato butter and lemon butter.

IMG_1326

I wish you all could have tasted this food, seriously.  Every bite was incredible.  We both didn’t want any of it to end!  Thankfully, we still had half a bottle of wine and dessert left to go.  =D  Now, no judgment when I tell you that we ordered three desserts, okay?  ‘Cause we did, and it was oh-so worth it!  Kahlua crème brulee, warm apple tart with dulce de leche ice cream, and chocolate caramel cake with chocolate ganache and almonds.

IMG_1330

They were all so decadent and rich.  The kahlua crème brulee was the perfect consistency and the chocolate cake was to die for.  The apple tart, and I’m not a fruit dessert kind of person normally, was wonderfully light and cinnamon-y.  Last but not least, Jack finished off the night with an “Eagle Eye” made of Kahlua, Bailey’s, coffee, whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

IMG_1329

I nursed the rest of my glass of red wine and we ended up walking out of the restaurant fifty minutes after they closed.  Don’t worry, Jack tipped well and honestly, everyone was very, very sweet and never once made us feel rushed out the door.  All in all, it was beyond a fantastic evening and I’m not just talking about the food.  Like I mentioned earlier, I cried several times thanks to the sappy and very real conversation that accompanied our delicious bites.  Hard to believe it’s been three years.  We’ve come so far and been through a bunch.  I cannot wait to see what’s coming up for us.  =D

Questions: What is your favorite way to spend an anniversary?
Ever ordered more dishes than there were people at the table?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...