Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Swamped and Stuck

It’s been a long time since I’ve done a What I Ate Wednesday post.  Well that’s about to change!

This morning started off with an elliptical/abs workout over at the fitness center.  I did 20 minutes of cardio and then 15 minutes of ab exercises.  I used the routine from this 300 core challenge.  I was hurting by the end!  To refuel, breakfast was a chocolate protein breakfast cake complete with maca powder and wheat germ.  I topped it with gobs of peanut butter, syrup, and chia seeds.

IMG_8032

It was consumed on the way to school.  I spent yesterday and today catching up on all the patients/results that I left behind when we headed to Florida.  I couldn’t, and still can’t, believe just how swamped I was from two days off.  I have four, count ‘em, four results to call out, two patients to call and gather info about, and my graduate thesis to set up.  Lordie, so much, so little time.  In fact, I fully intended on going to work at 11:00a but I didn’t end up there until 2:30p.  Oi!

During my busy busy morning I got hungry early around 11ish.  I hate how anxious it makes me to get hungry out of my routine.  I normally eat around noon so I was a full hour early.  However, I bite the bullet and ate anyways.  My lunch was a bowl full of  nonfat plain yogurt, cottage cheese, wheat germ, flaxseed, stevia, and delicious plums.

IMG_8377

Thankfully it did the job and I was able to concentrate on the rest of my patient things.  The confession of the afternoon: I am a total sap when I read cancer records.  I mean can you imagine being told that you have a 10% 5-year survival rate?  Or what about that you are 28 and have stage four breast cancer?  How about that having children is not in your best interest because your cancer is estrogen receptor positive and being pregnant could aggravate that?  Finally, what would you say if an oncologist told you that you should consider that the cancer may take you before you can raise your child beyond their child years?  See, I may be a sap but you can’t tell me you wouldn’t be either in that kind of a situation… Later in the afternoon, before I headed across the street to work, I snacked on an apple because I was getting hungry again.

IMG_8378

At work I got going unpacking a whole bunch of lab equipment that arrived on order this afternoon.  I cannot tell you the number of boxes of pipet tips I unloaded.  I ended up taking two whole boxes full of tips straight to the batcave (our excess storage room buried in the back of our LN2 room) instead of trying to find cupboard space for them.  While I was working I got hungry and took a few moments to eat a granola bar to ward off the sick feeling in my tummy.  I ate it so quick I didn’t take a picture but it was one of these babies.

At 4:30 I headed home only to get right back in my car to go to the lab for my blood draw that got botched yesterday.  Thankfully this time everything was in order and I got in and out real quick.

0808121731

I will say I am a bit tired of being poked and prodded and stuck for blood so often.  I can only hope that this draw further clarifies what’s going on with me.  Perhaps after my appointment next Thursday things will fall into place.  Fingers crossed!

I was pretty ready to eat when I got home so I set to chopping up veggies for a salad after I walked through the door.  While I was slicing and dicing I turned on the broiler and roasted the last of my sesame marinated tempeh from last week.  I really do love the meatiness of tempeh on a salad.  Doesn’t hurt that it’s nice and salty too.

IMG_8379

I used BBQ sauce for the dressing which honestly is probably my new favorite thing to do.  Perhaps it’s just cause I love the taste of barbeque.  Nomnom.  I’m not sitting here blogging with the Olympics on (go USA volleyball!) and a caramel rice cake smothered in mocha JIF and TJ’s chocolate & coffee grinder.

IMG_8380

Delicious way to end the day.  The plan is to finish watching the volleyball match and then head to bed.  We’ll see how it goes.  I might cop out early.  I be one tired lady!!!  Sleep well group!

Questions: When was the last time you had your blood drawn?
What is the one question you always ask a new doctor the first time you meet?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...