Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pudding To The Rescue

Metabolism.

That’s the word of the day.

I spent all day in clinic observing our biochemical geneticist work his magic.  It was a very long day.  Interesting but long.  Honestly, it’s kind of funny to think how exhausting it gets to not be able to say anything.  You’re a fly on the wall essentially.  And that’s fine, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes it’s nice to interact.  I do admit I have my “To Read” file full now with all sorts of metabolic disorders like propionic acidemia, glutaric acidemia, homocystinuria, and 3-MCC.  Lots to learn about.  But now down to the brass tax of today’s post: the food…because it’s a Wednesday and you know what that means!!

Breakfast came after a weights workout thanks to NROLFW.  I would consider this new routine, the new habit I’m “falling into”.  I’m on week two now and the plan called to move down in reps from 15 to 12 this week so I upped the weights and I was pretty tired when I finished.  I refueled in the shuttle with a chocolate and maca breakfast cake topped with flax peanut butter, maple syrup, and chia seeds.

IMG_8619

This kept me full all the way until lunch time, through a whole morning of seeing patients.  Lunch was my time to relax and take a breather.  I made ate some carrots and a krab salad sandwich.  In the mix: krab, TJ’s jalapeno and cilantro hummus, and a touch of sour cream.  Simple but serious perfection.  I will be making this again soon.  I couldn’t get enough of it.

IMG_8620

Following up in short order was an apple and a few dark chocolate acai berries from my desk mate Anna.  Oh Lordie, I really want to buy these but I really shouldn’t.  I probably couldn’t leave the bag alone!

IMG_8621

After lunch it was back to clinic for the afternoon patients.  Afternoon felt much longer than the morning so I powered through with a carrot cake protein bar that I made yesterday.

IMG_8613

While they don’t have a crunchy texture, more like that of a cake, they were still yummy.  I think if I make the recipe again (a distinct possibility) I would sweeten it just a bit. The overripe bananas I used certainly helped things but the unsweetened protein powder was mildly overwhelming.  Still though, you can’t beat 120 calories and 7.5g of protein per bar.  Awesome-sauce.

By the time I got back to the student room I was thoroughly exhausted and ready to call it a night.  Thankfully a first year, Jessica, was in the room about to head out and I bummed a ride home off her.  She really is too sweet, I must say.  When I walked into the my living room I dropped everything on the floor and collapsed on the couch.  It was already six o’clock so I took a little bit of time and worked on a neurology counseling outline then skipped off to the kitchen to work on dinner.  I made a stir-fry of summer squash, zucchini, shredded cabbage, onion, and garlic all in sundried tomato oil.  Some heavy dashes of salt and pepper too.  I served it all over some leftover mashed potatoes.

IMG_8622

The beautiful dish looked even better in the evening sun and the steam was very pretty.  And enticing.  I downed it in no time.  Then it was back to work on the outline and when I wrapped that up it was time for the saving grace of this long (but admittedly productive) day: butterscotch pudding with chocolate sprinkles.

IMG_8623

Seriously, this was delish.  Why is butterscotch such a great flavor?  I wish I knew but for now, I’ll take it regardless.  Now I’m off to watch an episode of MasterChef as I pack up for this weekend.  The plan is to be completely packed by tomorrow night so Friday goes really fast.  Peace out world.  Sleep well!

Questions: What is your top pudding flavor?
How do you manage having to be quiet instead of speaking your mind?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...