Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Can’t Shake The Cold

Today’s morning temperature did not inspire much confidence.

IMG_0796

Seriously, I was not in the mood to trek, on foot, to the gym.  Blah.  My bed was much too warm and comfy to leave.  However, I did it anyways.  I started Stage 5 today of NROLFW.  Sadly, it is a repeat of a previous stage that I didn’t love.  Its lower reps though so I take that as a “you’re supposed to increase your weights” and I will, after these first two workouts (one of each A and B workouts) at my ending weight from the earlier stage.  Warming up to it group, warming up. And speaking of, I was so cold today that I lifted in my long sleeve shirt and only took it off to do the cardio body weight matrix assigned at the end of 5A: 24 squats, 12 lunges per leg, 12 lunge jumps per leg, and 24 squat jumps.  Basically, do it as fast as you can, rest, then do it again.

IMG_0797

Lap one was round one of the matrix, lap two the rest stage, and lap three the second round of the matrix.  Obviously slower toward the end. My legs were jelly.  However, you average the times and that comes out to 3:23 per matrix.  That is my finishing time from the last stage.  So I’m starting out where I ended the last time.  I’d say that’s fine.

Back across the arctic tundra of a parking garage and into my apartment I trudged.  I warmed up with a hot, hot, hot shower and then tackled a refueling breakfast.  I made a chocolate protein cake and topped it with sun butter and honey.

IMG_0798

Nomnom. Shortly after I hopped into my car and headed to the hospital to see some patients.  Both of mine showed up today so that was great.  I felt like I did better this time around.  I thought I remembered some of the big, key criticisms that I had been receiving the last few days.  In between patients I tried to shake the chill by cranking the personal heater in the office I was borrowing for the day.

IMG_0799

How much would you like to bet that I will have a super-powered one of these in my future office someday?  (Hint: Take the bet and go big.  You will win.)  Lunch came in between my patients and was courtesy of Jack’s freezer.  I had driven to work on Monday after visiting him and I hadn’t brought lunch so I nabbed a Lean Cuisine from his stash.  Yesterday turned out to be so busy that I didn’t eat lunch so I just left it in the work fridge for today.

IMG_0801

Sesame chicken was the flavor and while it was alright taste-wise, it was small.  I had to eat the tiniest bites possible to get the whole thing to last all of five or seven minutes.  I was a wee bit dissatisfied.  So I thoughtfully reached for a small snack of chocolate with hazelnuts.  I could have eaten the entire bar but I was proud that I only had my two little squares.

IMG_0802

Yummy.  Fueled my fire for the afternoon of counseling, prep, and critique-receiving I had in store for me.  I’m not really sure listening to critique ever gets easier.  I pray it does but I have a sinking feeling it won’t.  I think it is even harder when you’re a student and you don’t have a whole lot of say in the process.  You just have to be willing to do whatever it takes, all the time.  It’s quite draining but a necessary thing to go through to become what I want to be: a full-fledged genetic counselor.

My afternoon snack was a caramel and pineapple Chobani bite.  The sweetness served to keep me level during my supervisor review.  All in all, in terms of the yogurt, it was really delish but I think it could have used more pineapple.

IMG_0803

After I left the hospital, I ran a few errands and picked up some food.  Produce mostly for salads but also some pudding for a binge-proof, pre-packaged dessert (especially with nut butter!) and some pickles…because a girl cannot ever have enough pickles.  haha.  When I arrived home, it was already 6:30 so I had to get my chop on.  In the end I combined romaine, celery, carrots, mushrooms, orange pepper, tomatoes, green onion, beets (oh how I missed you), cranberries, and goat blue cheese.  Dressed it with some lite balsamic vinaigrette.

IMG_0804

Is anyone else out there totally ADD when it comes to salad dressing?  I swear I have a ton open at any given time.  Right now I have sweet and spicy French, lite southwest ranch, champagne vinaigrette, fat free ranch, and lite Caesar.  Seriously that’s probably fairly representative of any given day in my fridge.  Variety, variety, variety.  =D

Anyways, I am off to bed so I leave you with three smiles from recent days: 1) I rocked a word on Words With Friends.  I typically never score more than 30 some per word and then the perfect storm happened.  I managed a 108 point word.  Woot, woot!

IMG_0782

2) Cuteness from a calendar at the clinic site I’m rotating at right now.  I love me some candy corn.

IMG_0793

3) Tune Tuesday greatness since it is that day of the week.  This gem came from a long list of awesome songs from my Vampire Diaries overdose.  (I’m in season four now, only three episodes back from being all caught up to the live ones!)

Questions: What is your fav salad dressing?
What is your go to non-traditional salad topping?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...