Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013–The Year of Change

First off, I’m so sorry I haven’t been around.  The last weeks of the holiday season were incredibly packed with traveling, family time, cooking, gift exchanging, and much needed relaxation.  As such I was less than inclined to blog but I’m back, at least for a bit.  I do warn you that this upcoming semester, my LAST!, is going to be my hardest yet and as such, I’m might be a bit sparse on the blogging front.  I think it really depends on how under control I feel while learning the ropes of each new clinic site.  I have three this semester and I’ve heard they’re all pretty different from one another.  Should be challenging.

Anyways, I figured I’d do a quick recap of some of the Christmas season and New Years time before starting work on some more academic things like my thesis/project presentation.  My holiday break started with a brunch visit with my 6-months-pregnant cousin.  It was so great to see her and catch up before she moves to Germany because her husband is being stationed overseas.

IMG_0443a

Next up, Jack and I were at my parents’ home from Christmas.  We spent a bunch of time opening presents on Xmas morning after a wonderful brunch of potato waffles and bacon.  My favorite gift of the day: a college quilt made for me by my mother.

IMG_0448

Tasha decided she liked it too and decided to photobomb all attempts to capture the gorgeousness of my quilt.  Oh well, she’s pretty cute too.  Another favorite: my Christmas bling from Jack.  Beautiful.

IMG_0468IMG_0575

A bunch more presents later, including clothes, tablets, and some interesting family art, we wrapped things up only to go downstairs and realize the sump pump had failed.  Our basement was soaked.  Oi, what a lovely morning.

IMG_0450IMG_0463

Most the entire day was spent recovering from the water leakage but thankfully things slowed enough that we could actually sit down for dinner.  The night previous I had made some homemade noodles which we cooked in veggie broth when the time came.

IMG_0447

Let’s just say they were entirely awesome.  We ate them with some mustard rubbed ham and a carrot, pineapple, apple, and cranberry honey salad.  Delicious night.  We also put away a fair number of bottles of wine.  Dessert came in the form of raspberry and apple pies with creamy vanilla ice cream.  The family had gotten some cute gelato dishes as a present so we playfully tipped one over and sent a picture to the people we got them from stating “This is how you’re supposed to use them right?”  It was pretty funny.

IMG_0471

The rest of break was less eventful, which if that means no flooding…I’ll take it, and we finished off the week with my parents at their favorite restaurant.  I had the shrimp and lobster mac and cheese and it was incredible.

IMG_0481

Most interesting part: those little spikes you see are actually deep fried raw pasta that are then tossed in parmesan.  Very interesting touch.  I ate one and left the other though, sometimes raw pasta is just a bit awkward.  Seriously though, terribly good meal.  The next day Jack and I headed out early so we could make it to our friends’ wedding.  Two of our swing friends tied the knot and, as the groom so bluntly put it, “we wouldn’t be here without you [meaning me]”.  Let’s just say that I played matchmaker for these two.

IMG_0487IMG_0490IMG_0503IMG_0520IMG_0525IMG_0539

It was incredible to watch them grow.  They also had some yummy angel food cake available.  You know how I love my cake!

IMG_0541

Super personal touch: the tea, coffee, and hot chocolate bar complete with adorable personalized guards for the cups.  We thought this was just adorable.

IMG_0507

All in all, it was a beautiful day and we had a great time.  We even got to teach a swing dance lesson while the bride and groom were taking their pictures.  Honored to say the least.

IMG_0542IMG_0543IMG_0544

The day after the wedding, Jack and I played host to some of our good friends, Tom and Liz (who wed a bit over a year ago).  I decided on a make-your-own-calzone bar after manchego-stuffed-bacon-wrapped-date appetizers.

IMG_0547

We were up past midnight playing games and chatting.  We haven’t seen them in a while so the conversations were long overdue.  Next up, New Years Eve arrived and Jack and I decided to stick close to home and attend a Black, White, and Red party at one of my classmate’s apartments. 

IMG_0552IMG_0560738275_704869933062_562944320_o

We had a stellar time.  We brought food to share as well as some sparkling wine.  Pretty sure the whole party when through a ridiculous amount of wine bottles by the end of the night.  There was even some intoxicated MarioKarting by one in the morning.  Admittedly, the most incredible moment happened embarrassingly late in the night, or rather early in the morning.  I was creeping on Facebook and there it was, Jack’s brother proposed to his long time girlfriend on NYE in Paris!!!  We were so excited.  We immediately cheers to them and posted congrats on their profiles.

IMG_0574

This was a long time and coming and we couldn’t be happier.  I can’t wait to watch the whole event take shape.  It’s going to be awesome.  So, as you can see, it was eventful and crazy and happy all the same.  Now is the time where I thought I would discuss NYE resolutions and plans for this upcoming year of great change.  After dropping my NYE resolutions of last year around the six month mark, darn it, I decided perhaps this year wouldn’t start off with resolutions per say.  I still want to establish a healthy relationship with food and, as cliché as it is, I would really love to lose my 2012 weight by the time graduation rolls around in May.

Speaking of which, can you believe it?? I’m graduating for the final time in just four and a half short months.  Oh my gosh!  I think that’s hands-down the biggest change coming up.  Graduation = finding a job = maybe moving (something which makes me kind of nervous).  I have been applying to positions around the country but I would really love to stick around Jack if at all possible.  The bottom line remains though: I need to be employed after graduation.  I have loans that need to be paid.  I will try and keep you updated about the job process as much as I can over the coming months.  I have a feeling its going to ramp up any day now.

Well, this post became about five times the size I thought it would.  However, it felt nice to write after a while of being gone.  In the spirit of regular food photos fairly typical of this blog, I’ll leave you with some pictures from yesterday’s Noodles & Company lunch and homemade dinner (actually eaten at the dining room table without the TV going…how odd, haha).

IMG_0576IMG_0577IMG_0578

Questions: How was your holiday season?
Have you made NYE resolutions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...