Sunday, July 24, 2011

Breakfast and Boxes

I woke up a Masters graduate!!!  Awesome.  To celebrate I felt another 3.1 miles coming on.  With those under my belt I am officially done with my virtual half.  Very cool.  I still need to actually submit my log sheet but I'm pretty pumped I done.  I got up early enough that it was only 72F when I ran which made it significantly easier to make it the full 5K distance.  Was there another reason for getting up early (a la 7:30am),  you ask?  Why yes, and its name is BREAKFAST at Eva's Breakfast Nook with the parents.  They had to head out around 9:30 for home so we decided some food was in order before taking to the road.  We normally eat at another local establishment but I thought this last trip (since I'm moving to a new city on Saturday) deserved something different.


I had been to this restaurant before and had a great dish called the Hawaiian Omelette.  It was made with five eggs and stuffed with strawberries, bananas, pineapple, walnuts, and topped with whipped cream.  Oh my wow.  Obviously when I talked my parents into going to Eva's I was planning on having the same dish.  You can imagine how sad I was when they no longer served my omelette of choice.  Deprived, I searched the menu for something to have instead.  After my run I knew I needed protein so I stuck to the egg dishes.  Ended up choosing the Denver Scramble: three eggs (which I subbed with egg whites), ham, green pepper, onions, and cheddar jack cheese (I asked for half the amount they normally do).  I chose the side of hash browns (extra crispy only!) and dry wheat toast (of which I smeared one half slice with orange marmalade) to accompany my main attraction.


It was really good and I wolfed it down with four tall glasses of ice water with lemon.  Mom got the Veggie Scramble and dad got the Sausage & Jalapeno Omelette.  Both of them loved their dishes too and we were pleasantly stuffed when we left.  I dropped off my parents and waved goodbye.  I'll see my mom in just a few weeks as she's coming down to check out my new digs!

My next step was a quick Walmart run for packing tape and an energy drink for Jack.  I am moving on Saturday and hadn't yet packed anything so that was today's sole mission.  I managed to clear my closet, dresser, bedside table, and front hall closet.  The linen closet was combed through but not cleared because most of consists of boxes that go to kitchenware and other various pieces and parts around the apartment.  Therefore, the closet should clear itself as I continue to pack.  Oh, we also took down two lights and I cleared the fridge of all artwork and pictures.  Man does it look bare!  In fact, its funny because while the fridge and closets and such look bare, everywhere with floor space looks way too full...of boxes that is.


For dinner, Jack suggested Whiting fillets in our continuing effort to clear the fridge and freezer before we depart in 5-6 days.  I thawed them in water, pressed them to remove any excess water, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and sprayed them with cooking spray before sticking them on my Foreman.  They cooked for 8 minutes and I paired the cooked fillets with broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots tossed in taco seasoning.  To spice up the fish, we added pineapple chipotle salsa.


The verdict: whiting honestly tastes like nothing despite the salt, pepper, and oil spray.  Hence, I'm very glad there was salsa on top.  It was pretty much the only flavor.  I ended up putting more seasoning on my veg too as they were also bland.  The extra shakes helped though.  All in all, not too shabby of a dinner after spending a whole day packing.

For now, Jack and I can't believe its only 8pm and we're in search of something to do to relax as a reward for a job well done.  So, can you guess what tomorrow's plans are???  You get three guesses and your first two don't count...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...