Monday, July 25, 2011

Things About Moving You Forget

Packing, packing, packing.

Boxes, boxes, boxes.

Those are the things you always think of when moving.  You forget that there are utilities to be taken care of and addresses to be forwarded.  That is what I tackled today.


Technically number one was addressed today too but I can't actually schedule a cancel of service for Friday on a Monday (aka today).  Ergo, I shall call on Friday and have it cancelled the same day.  I have yet to set a forwarding address because I'm trying to be economical about my trip to the post office and I'm saving it for tomorrow when I have to head there anyways to mail a book for PaperBackSwap.

Number four involved loans, money, grrr.  In order to go to the school where I'm going to study genetic counseling I have to take out loans like so many other students.  I hate the idea but I also want this degree more than anything.  Hence, I am doing everything in my power to get the best interest rates and make this as painless as possible.  I'll admit, that makes one of us.  Discover Student Loans called me this morning asking to check in and it turns out that they have been missing critical information for almost a month! To make matters worse, their online interface which is my only means of tracking their progress...


...was apparently WRONG!  How incredibly unhelpful is that?  If this is honestly going to be the singular way of letting the applicant stay up-to-date with their application, to have it be incorrect seems a crime.  I was less than happy for sure.  Apparently my school certification was delayed and not "completed" as advertised.  Never-the-less, I managed to get them straightened out today so I put that in the DONE column.

Before all of this phone work began I kicked my behind at the gym.  Because I was a graduate on Saturday I wasn't sure that I would be able to use my school's gym.  Hoping that my ID wasn't deactivated quite yet I jogged to the gym and thankfully I was allowed in.  25 minutes on the elliptical later I went down the weight room and did the following:
  • Chest Press: 3x40lbs
  • Hip Abductor: 3x45lbs
  • Hip Adductor: 3x20lbs
  • Oblique Twist: 3x65lbs
  • Rows: 3x40lbs
  • Fly: 3x55lbs
After finishing this baby up, I headed home at a nice 7mph pace.  All in all I ended up jogging about 1.54 miles to and from the gym.  This coupled with the in-gym workout meant that my day was off to a great start. It also meant that I was famished when I arrived home and was ready for some eats!


Breakfast consisted of a big bowl of cold oats.  In the mix: 1/4 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 40g (a little less than half a 1/3 cup) nonfat plain yogurt, 5g chocolate protein powder, 7g (heaping half tbsp) chia seeds.  I mixed in blueberries and strawberries and topped it with regular and coconut white chocolate peanut butter. Cool thing about the latter, the coconut butter in the peanut butter makes it seize up when the peanut butter hits the cold oats.  It produces a really cool texture.

Lunch was a sampler plate eaten among boxes on the floor while figuring out how I wanted to pack away my desk materials.


I enjoyed the cauliflower, celery, carrots, grape tomatoes and hummus mixed with a bit of curry and garlic powders.  To finish I had two unsulphured, dried apricots and then it was back to the grind of getting ready for the move.

To cancel out the humdrum of packing, Jack and I took a walk and my best friend from Ohio called me.  Boy did we have a lot to talk about and speaking of catching up, my best friend got home from vacation the day before my graduation and we went to dinner tonight to spend some time talking.  We picked out Teppanyaki, a Chinese buffet, and had wayyyy too much though we did spend two and a half hours there.  To start off we tried something neither of us had ever had before:

Octopus!!!!

All you could taste was the hot pepper flavor of the cold sauce on it and it was terribly chewy.  To be honest it was like chewing rubber.  Perhaps it was overcooked, perhaps that is what it is supposed to be like.  Who knows?  I don't.  To lift our spirits after that we tackled the sushi bar.  This was hands-down the prettiest part of the meal.  Like I said earlier, sushi is art.


When we arrived back at my apartment my best friend gave me a graduation gift for my new apartment.  It was wrapped in Christmas paper so we just said it was Christmas in July like so many people randomly celebrate.  It worked for me especially since I just ripped off the paper in order to get to the gift beneath.


I am always cooking, thinking up recipes, figuring out the calories in certain dishes, etc so this white board for the fridge was the perfect thing.  I can keep everything right in the kitchen and the cork-board side will give me a place to put important stuff like invitations and coupons.  =D

Tomorrow I work in the afternoon so the morning will be filled with, you guessed it, packing more boxes.  I keep reminding myself I just need to get through this week and the fact that I can't see the floor is not a condition that is going to last forever.  I'm coming to find that it's not the packing that is super stressful, it's the fact that everything looks cluttered all the time!  Oh well, just 4 more days until the move.

Have a great night and a fantastic Tuesday until we meet again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...