Friday, July 22, 2011

The Day Before I Walk Again

I have finished my plant de-sexing duties, my friends, and not a moment too soon.


A gardener I am not.
This is for certain.


But regardless of my lack of a green thumb (and totally fear of giant spiders and huge, woman-hunting bees) I did manage to de-sex all the plants and give them all much needed haircuts in a matter of three days.  We'll see how long it lasts...

When I came home from the farm I changed and hiked my booty to the gym for potentially my last school gym workout.  I walk across the graduation stage tomorrow and as such may not be entitled to use the equipment in the week between now and the time I move.  I hope they don't turn off my ID but should they choose to be bums like that, I'll just have to run in the mornings before it gets too hot.  After 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer I hit up the weight room for some reps:
  • Oblique Twist: 1x85lbs (ooops, wrong setting), 2x65lbs
  • Lat Pull: 3x40lbs
  • Fly: 3x40lbs
  • Leg Extension: 3x50lbs
  • Dead Lifts: 3x2-10lb free weights
  • Bicep Curls: 3x2-10lb free weights
I felt great after this workout and headed back out into the heat to get back to the apartment for the vanilla protein blueberry pancakes that Jack was cooking up.


I topped my four with some syrup and chia seeds and devoured them.  I feel like lately that is my one eating speed: wolfing or devouring.  Its all so good that I just can't get the food into my mouth quick enough.  Yummy in my tummy.

Post-breakfast, the errand list loomed large.  I showered my sweaty self and jumped in the car.  Staples was our first stop to get my creative project printed.  Ladies and gentlemen, this sucker is 130 pages and it honestly didn't feel real until I held it in my hands.  Yes, I almost cried in Staples when the printing lady handed it to me...and then I was overwhelmingly happy.


By the way, I noticed the saying on the box she gave me my copy in and I couldn't help but fall in love with the last phrase.  I will admit, I want to flaunt this sucker all up and down town.  I'm so proud.


With a whole range of other errands to go, we headed back out and ran through the list.  Construction caused some issues but finally we were finished and my parents had arrived in town for the festivities tomorrow.  I couldn't wait to see them so I left Jack to study some physics (for his qualifying exam for his PhD program) and I drove over to where they had parked the motorhome.  We had the normal cheese and cracker spread for happy hour and for dinner we thought a bbq of sorts would be nice so teriyaki pork and pineapple hit the grill and mom and I picked up some herbed red potato salad and lite italian pasta salad to accompany the protein.


The grilled pineapple stole the show and the glass of wine I had was the perfect, crisp accompaniment.  However, the pièce de résistance was yet to come.  After waiting for my best friend and his wife to arrive after their long drive home from vacation in NC, we busted into my graduation carrot cake!


Something you should understand about me and carrot cake (especially if the caption on the cake is making zero sense): we have an intimate once-a-year relationship.  You see, last year for my undergraduate graduation I was jonesing for carrot cake for three weeks before my party.  When I finally got it I was beyond happy as you can see here:


Hence, in the name of symmetry (I have a thing for being symmetrical with big events in my life), I decided that another carrot cake was most certainly in order to celebrate this graduation, my Masters graduation.  So not only was this my second carrot cake but it it celebrating my second graduation.  Yay Jill #2!  Now this time around the bakery got it wrong.  The cake in the above picture from last year was filled and boy was it to die for.  I asked for filling this year and got none.  Needless to say, I was disappointed.  It still tasted great but that extra bit of cream cheese filling does me in every time, in the best way possible.  Tomorrow we're going to take the photographic evidence (because believe you me, the physical evidence is long gone, hehe) over to the bakery and let them know their mistake.  I have no idea what they will do when we express our concerns and I'm not really sure what I would want from them.  I certainly don't want a second carrot cake made, even if it would be the proper cake I actually ordered, however I'm not sure I need a whole other cake of any kind.  There will be plenty of good food tomorrow and this week.  Perhaps a refund?  We shall see.

Regardless, today was great and tomorrow will be even better.  Graduation in the morning at 10am to be followed by lunch with the family and then a happy hour/dinner/dessert evening being hosted by my best friend and his wife.  Just a quiet acknowledgement of this crazy hard last year.  I am ready for this.  I am ready to be officially done.  I am ready to repeat this face:


Good night one and all.  I have a date with destiny in less than 24 hours.  Sleep tight!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...