Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Dinner To Share

You know what happens on Sundays.  Church and parish breakfasts that’s what!  Oh yea.  Today I decided to walk so I didn’t have to deal with parking downtown.  The walk wasn’t too bad as long as I wasn’t walking straight into the wind.  When I got there I served up a mean plate of biscuits and gravy, egg, sausage, yogurt, fruit, and cereal.  We had around 20 people show up for the meal this morning.  When the line wound down, I served myself up a bowl.  On the bottom was half a biscuit.  I topped this with a scoop of scrambled eggs and ladled just enough gravy over the top to wet everything.  It was so great.

IMG_5946

I’m proud of the compromise I made.  Biscuits and gravy is not one of the healthiest breakfasts around but I really wanted to taste it because that selection is not one I make in my own home.  The idea of the calories in it though made me nervous but in my effort to establish a better relationship with food, yay New Year’s Resolution #3, I had my little bowl with only half a biscuit instead of the whole thing, with eggs for more protein and staying power, and not as much gravy as I was supposed to be doling out to everyone else.  All in all, a delicious victory.

When I finished eating and helped put away some clean silverware and plates, I headed up to the nave for the 11am service.  We sang one of my favorite hymns today and I almost cried.  I associate it very closely with my paternal grandmother’s memorial service so it brought up some emotional memories but it felt good to sing again.  The sermon dealt with doing things in “Christ’s name” instead of just slapping “Christian” as a label onto something and calling it a day.  I’m not sure I completely understood exactly what was being said but I’m going to think about it more over the week.

After I got home from church in the early afternoon I set out to get my sweat on.  I first started off with level two of Jillian Michaels 6-week 6-pack.  Man, this level seems more about the high intensity cardio intervals while still working the core.  It kicked my butt for sure but when I finished the 35 minute circuit I wasn’t stopping there.  I headed to the fitness center and did 45 minutes on the reclined stationary bike followed by an upper body circuit:

  • Bicep curls: 3 x 8 reps x 15 lbs
  • Tricep dips: 3 x 10 reps x own body weight
  • Chest press: 3 x 10 reps x 30-40 lbs
  • V-raises: 3 x 8 reps x 10 lbs

When I returned to my apartment I made myself up a protein packed refueling snack in the form of yogurt mixed with peanut flour, chia gel, plums, blueberries, and wheat germ on top.

IMG_5947

It tasted light and refreshing and was just enough to hold me over through my shower and the late afternoon (which I spent working on my family genogram for Psychosocial class) before I met up with an old acquaintance, Haley, for dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery.  We haven’t spoken in a long time so it was nice to catch up.  To start we both got ice-free, lemon-added waters and an order of soft pretzels.

imageIMG_5948IMG_5949

These had been haunting me since earlier this past week when we first made these plans.  I knew I needed them in my life ASAP.  They were large and in charge and did not disappoint. For my entrée, which came in the middle of my pretzel because I was talking so much that I didn’t eat it quick enough, I chose the 2:00AM burger which was breakfast for dinner in the best way possible.

imageIMG_5951

I demolished this entire plate, including the housemade chips which were perfectly thin and crispy, crunchy.  I eat freshly made chips with ketchup… Weird huh?  In terms of the burger, the egg squished out yolk everywhere and was a creamy dream.  The hash brown on the bottom could have been seasoned with a bit more pepper but it was entirely scrumptious.  A bit after I had practically licked my plate clean, the server came back to clear my side of the table and he took one look at me and one look at my empty dish and said:

“I like a girl who can order a
two-handed burger and put it away!”

It was honestly pretty cute.  I giggled…and then ordered dessert.  Haha, that’s right, I went back for more, baby.  You can’t say you didn’t see that coming!

imageIMG_5952

You all know I am a sucker for carrot cake so this was a no brainer for me especially since I had read RAVE reviews on Yelp about it.  I was honestly going to get a piece to go is Haley didn’t want to share but luckily for my waistline, she did.  We spent probably another half an hour alone taking bites out of this tasty behemoth piece.  In total, we spent about three hours at dinner.  I think this was an important vent session for her.  I’m glad we did dinner.

Now that I’m full, happy, satisfied, and at home I think I should seriously consider heading to bed because I have freezer room training at work tomorrow bright and early.  With that, I am going to go stir my crockpot full of steel cut oats (I’m making a big batch overnight so I have great, hearty breakfasts for the week ahead), brush my teeth, and slip under my sheets.  G’night all!

Questions: What’s your favorite flavor of cake?
How are you doing with your New Year’s Resolutions so far?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...