Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cozy Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I made a crazy good breakfast the other day and I couldn’t help but share it so I decided to submit this to the Weekend Potluck hosted by 4 Little Fergusons, The Country Cook, Baking Bad, and Meet Penny!  I hope you enjoy the deliciousness to follow as much as I did.  Comfort food at its finest!

Cozy Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Inspired by this recipe which is based on this recipe.

I am a huge fan of carrot cake and while I know I shouldn’t eat a slice of cake for breakfast, that doesn’t mean I don’t think about it.  So, to indulge that urge in a much healthier way, I created this breakfast recipe.  Makes one heaping bowl of greatness.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 T steel cut oats
1/2 cup almond milk (or any milk you have)
1 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8th tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/2 T butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 T maple syrup
1 large carrot, grated
10g (one heaping tbsp) vanilla protein powder (cake batter might also taste great)
2 pieces crystallized ginger, minced

How to:
1. Combine both types of oats, milk, water, and the spice/salt.  Bring to a boil on a stove top and stir to avoid overflow.  Cook for 5-6 minutes.
2. Stir in the butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.  Add in protein powder and carrots.  Cook for another 3-5 minutes.  Make sure to stir to avoid the oatmeal sticking to the bottom.
3. At this point you may need to add in another 1/8th cup of water depending on how you like your oats.  I like mine more creamy than sticky, per say, so I stirred in the water now and then added in the ginger.
4. Pull off the stove top and pour into a bowl to allow the mixture to cool off a bit before consuming.  I know it’s hard but wait a few moments.  Don’t burn your mouth like I did because I was so impatient to try it!!

IMG_6282

Questions: Have you ever eaten a slice of cake for breakfast?
What do you think about '”healthifying” traditional indulgences?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...