Monday, November 7, 2011

A Food For Thought Kind of Day

It’s the first full week of November and this whole dark by 5:30p/6p is seriously ridiculous.  I can’t seem to get adjusted right just yet.  It feels like it should be 9:30p by the time I’m originally getting around to dinner.  On the other side of the day, this morning there was light shining in through my window at 7:20a.  I actually woke up because I wasn’t used to the light that early in the day.  Instead of fight the light, I just got up and started chopping veggies for my lunch salad.  By the time I had finished I was skirting the time I needed to leave the apartment so I made myself a vanilla breakfast cake to go.  I topped it with sunbutter, maple, and chia seeds.

IMG_4673

When I arrived at school we first years walked to class and within the first five minutes our professor got a call that she had to take.  We talked amongst ourselves as she spoke to the person on the other end and finally she hung up and announced that class was officially canceled tomorrow.  That means we have ZERO reason to be on campus tomorrow so it’s an unexpected day off!  Then the morning got even better because not four words into her next sentence to get us back on track with the class’s subject matter the fire alarm went off.  Haha.  We ended up in the hospital’s cafeteria for the rest of the time.

We spoke about transference and countertransference today as a group.  Basically either the patient’s or the counselor’s life experiences and past emotional events impact the way that they interact with the other.  These types of things can be positive and negative but it’s much easier to come up with negative examples.  For instance, if the counselor has lost a child recently, or even just at some point in the past, he/she may have trouble in a prenatal session where the couple was referred for a recent neonatal loss.  The counselor may impose her own feelings of loss, regret, sadness, emptiness onto the clients without knowing it.  This inhibits the progress of the session.

Something of note however is that both transference and countertransference are UNCONSCIOUS events.  Simply acknowledging that they can happen is the best step you can take.  If you realize that there is the possibility, then you can prepare yourself for moments in which transference/countertransference may perhaps pop up.  If you’re ready, you can prevent, or at least take strides to lessen, their effects.

After class we all ended up in the library to study for our genetics exam at 2p.  I worked until about noon when I got hungry so I relocated to the student room and chomped on my ranch-dressed salad.

IMG_4674

I had romaine lettuce topped with carrots, celery, red onion, tomato, and cheddar jack cheese.  I was going to have green pepper too but it was sadly molded.  Same thing happened with my cannellini beans too.  =(

Metabolism class was at 1p and I’ll admit it was hard to focus because I was thinking about all the genetics information I needed to keep in my brain for the upcoming test.  We talked about mitochondrial disorders and newborn screening protocol.  The latter subject was actually well timed because we were being tested on some newborn screening information in genetics class too.

By the time we got out of Metabolism the first years had about five minutes to get to the exam.  I was glad at this point just to get the test and start working on it.  I found I worked my way through all the multiple choice questions fairly easily.  I love it when questions that say “which one of these is FALSE?” have answers that are really easy to eliminate.  It makes me feel great when I go through and I don’t even waiver on one.  Always lovely to feel so solid on an answer.  When I hit the short answer questions there was a lot of drawing to be done.  I had to diagram a submetacentric chromosome and a typical gene structure.  Aside from the pictures I also had to do Bayesian probability by hand.  Oi.

I finished the test fairly confidently about an 75 minutes after starting.  Three of my classmates finished before me and one offered to drive me home which was lovely because it was pouring rain.  I hate walking with wet shoes and socks.  It’s awful.  When I was delivered dry to my apartment I got ready for my maintenance run workout today.  I popped a half a banana smeared with chocolate PB2 to fuel the run and then ate the rest afterwards.

IMG_4676

I ended up doing 3.75 miles in 35 minutes.  It felt pretty nice.  I will say how incredible it is to run at a slower pace!  Honestly, I feel like I could run forever.  I used to think that running under 7 miles per hour or for any shorter than my longest distance to date was cheating but I have since gotten over that, and I dare say, am enjoying running even more now!

I surfed the internet for a bit and caught up on my Google Reader backlog before hearing my stomach start to growl.  I embarked on some sort of a stir-fry/succotash thing for dinner.  I fried up some shrimp in sesame oil and then cooked some home fries in the remaining oil.  When the potatoes were half done I added in some onion and then toward the end I threw in corn and tomato.  When all the components had come together, I spooned them into a bowl and added some sweet & sour sauce.

IMG_4677IMG_4678

In honor of such a great run and my test being behind me, a very aptly named wine was served with dinner.  Yum.

IMG_4679

I decided to take this entire night off before beginning my patient letter homework and studying for our Monday Metabolism test tomorrow.  I spent the rest of the evening tearing through DVRed show after DVRed show and phoning my mommy.  Along with that I got resourceful and iced my shin with a frozen bag of potatoes.

IMG_4680IMG_4681

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As if I wasn’t cold enough with my shin icing, I also indulged in dessert in the form of a big bowl of ice cream.

IMG_4682

Happiness

Other things on my mind today involve registering for my next 5K and another blogger’s baby post!  First off, I am officially participating in the Two Rivers Ford Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving day 2011!  I have never worked out on a holiday before but then again, I have never been this active before in my life.  I have also never been a runner before!  I am really excited actually to be participating and Jack is too.  Should be a fun time for all and a great way to start the day with my family.  Also, it will be nice to get moving early in the holiday because if I am being totally honest the rest of the day will no doubt be spent in the recliner watching football with my loved ones.  That’s how we roll on turkey day.

Second off, Caitlin of Healthy Tipping Point posted that she and her husband are expecting a baby in June!  How awesome, right?!?  One of the questions her readers asked was how far along she was and when she answered “9 weeks” many were worried that she had spilled the beans too early.  It is a well known fact that the risk of miscarriage is highest in the first trimester (typically prior to 12 weeks).  She made a lovely, refreshing point when she said that she blogs about her life fairly uncensored and that she would blog about her miscarriage if it happened so there was no reason to hide the pregnancy.  She also reminded us that one in four women experience miscarriage.  It is nothing to be ashamed of but rather something to speak out about and bring awareness too.

I hope that you will take some time and read into or at least peruse this topic.  I believe it’s important for everyone to have a better idea about.

I leave you tonight with some natural beauty.  Who knew romaine lettuce hearts could be so pretty??

IMG_4671

Questions: Do you know anyone who has had a miscarriage?  What was their experience?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...