Tuesday, November 15, 2011

From Fasting To Full

So I come to you tonight from the floor of my living room.  Honestly, being on my back is the only comfy position at the moment because I’m so full.  You’ll see why by the end.

The day started out with a fast.  That’s right: no breakfast.  Sadness, I know!  I had to have my blood drawn at the hospital and it was required to be a fasting draw so I hopped in the car pretty hungry.  When I arrived at the nephrologist’s office they didn’t have me on the schedule but when I mentioned they should have and that it was only a blood draw, they slipped me in quickly.  It amazes me how you can be stuck in the same vein at various times, various hospital visits and such, and each time it can feel completely different.  Today, it hurt and in fact, it still hurts right now.  Blah.  After it was over I got to EAT!

IMG_4823

As you can see I stashed a Mojo Dipped bar in my shoulder bag and finally got to chow down around 9:30 as I headed back to the city for class.  I arrived on campus and parked in the hospital garage and manages to make it to lecture for the last 30 minutes.  We talked about adoption protocol, law, and the types of adoption available.  Essentially this was considered a balancing lecture.  There are those out there who criticize, or at least simply express concern that, genetic counselors are much more fluent in continuation and termination practices while they tend to be deficient in adoption information.  Well, everyone, today we remedied that.

I copied a classmate’s notes after class to catch myself up on the hour or so of class I missed.  Thankfully it wasn’t too much.  It centered more around adoption appropriate language than anything strictly factual so for that I was thankful.  When I had completed that and printed off a few things I was in need of I headed back to the parking garage to drive home.  I had to pay $3.25 to exit the garage but I suppose I would take that any day when faced with the other option: towage.

Back at home I worked on my role play for Nov 30th.  My thought is to get it done, or at least >90% completed, before heading away on Thanksgiving holiday.  I’d rather not have to deal with that heavy of homework over break.  Three hours later, I had made stellar progress on my scenario and had scarfed down two pieces of peanut butter turkey toast.

IMG_4825

I know it sounds weird but don’t knock it until you try it.  I will say though, try it with non-smoked turkey.  Trust me, it’s way better with plain old turkey.  To celebrate my homework accomplishments I changed into shorts and a t-shirt and hit the fitness center.  I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and 35 minutes on the stationary bike.  While I biked I read The Hunger Games like the book was going out of style.  I almost finished it but I still have a few pages left so you can bet as soon as I am done with this entry, I am crawling into bed and devouring the last of it.  After my sweat session I did a quick weight circuit:

  • Olympic shoulder press with 10lb dumbbells
  • Tricep press with a 10lb dumbbell
  • Sumo squats with a 10lb dumbbell
  • Bilateral woodchops with a 10lb dumbbell

Soon after finishing my workout and showering I headed to meet Joshua for dinner at Golden Corral.  I have this thing about wanting to try all the different buffet joints out there and this one was next on the list. When we walked in I was greeted with this sign:

IMG_4829

I fell in love pretty much instantly.  However, dessert comes last so I tried basically the whole rest of the buffet first.  I was very impressed by the selection.  Some of the highlights:

IMG_4832

Their Asian station.  I had some pineapple chicken which was great and their teriyaki chicken also rocked my socks.

IMG_4835

Breads.  I particularly enjoyed the multigrain roll.  (Don’t worry, this plate was totally split between the two of us.)

IMG_4837

The chocolate fountain, of course!  I realize the picture doesn’t look like much but I promise there is pineapple, a strawberry, marshmallows, a rice crispy treat, a coconut macaroon (<--my fav!), and a fudge ball all dipped in chocolate (with a small side of gummy bears and jelly beans).  To my surprise it was a bittersweet, or at least a very dark, chocolate which was a refreshing change.  Typically chocolate fountains are done with milk chocolate and are therefore sometimes coyingly sweet.  This was nice.

Alright, I can’t stand it anymore, I have to go finish The Hunger Games.  I will see you all tomorrow for Hump Day!  Before I go though, it’s time for a throwback Tune Tuesday! 

Questions: Were you a Backstreet Boys or N*Sync fan?
Do you like chocolate fountains?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...