Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Twinkle Twinkle

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!!!

Jack and I are finally on break from school and we made the road trip to Tennessee this morning.  We started super early and made it to the campground for lunch.  We had cranberry-orange relish, turkey, provolone, and mustard sandwiches with Ruffles on the side.  I was so caught up in being with family that I forgot to snap a photo.  Hope you can forgive me!

This meal held us over all afternoon.  I napped, Jack read, and mom and dad did other things.  I was more tired than I realized for sure.  By the time happy hour rolled around, we headed over to the Grand Ole Opry hotel to take a tour.  Seriously, this place was gargantuan!  I couldn’t believe the size of it.  It was so big that it actually had centers where you could specify where you wanted to get to and you could print out directions. How crazy!!

IMG_1194IMG_1196

One of the coolest things to see was all of the lights the place had up. They did all sorts of Christmas-y decorating on the inside and the outside.  The magnolia trees were covered in sparkles and they created a giant LED tree.

IMG_1186IMG_1187

Inside, they hung “icicles” (which TWINKLED) from the ceiling and had a tree made from poinsettias.  All the plants in the atriums were real too which was incredibly impressive.  There were even roses growing on this lattice work to form a beautiful dome structure.

IMG_1197IMG_1192IMG_1202

After meandering around we settled on going to The Falls bar for drinks.

IMG_1204IMG_1206

We sat by the waterfall and perused the menu of drinks and small plates.  Mom and dad each settled on glasses of white and red wine, respectively while Jack and I tried some champagne cocktails.  I got the blood orange mimosa and he tried the 77 citrus.

IMG_1207IMG_1209

These were great drinks.  I’m a huge fan of champagne but I rarely get to drink it so it’s always a treat when I get to sip some.  For the second round of drinks, Jack ended up with an espresso martini and I had a glass of a champagne from Spain.  We also all snacked nibbled on a cheese plate with some toasted bread and three kinds of cheese (probably a swiss, gorgonzola, and a havarti).

IMG_1210

After we finished our drinks and our ethics discussion, which got fairly heated in a good way, we headed home for dinner.  I tackled slicing veggies for salads while mom heated up homemade spaghetti sauce.  Jack helped with salad by peeling carrots and mushrooms.  Finally we sat down to a meal of spaghetti squash covered in sauce with freshly grated parm on top.  We also had biscuits (which I considered to be my carb loading for the turkey trot tomorrow) and salads with Italian dressing.

IMG_4934

The squash had a nice crunchy texture but I honestly could have gone for spaghetti noodles more.  I wanted more carbs.  =D  On the whole though it was a nice, satisfying meal.  The best part though was yet to come: dessert of course!

IMG_4935

We had chunks of fudge pie from a local bakery, slightly warmed in the microwave, with vanilla ice cream on top. Oh man was it good.  I was a very happy camper. And now I think I’ll go and watch some Battlestar Galactica with my family and get some sleep before our race tomorrow morning.  I’m pretty pumped for tomorrow.  Running, food, family…what more could you ask for?!?

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!  Don’t get too full, laugh a bit too much, and enjoy socializing with your company. =D

Questions: Have you ever done a turkey trot race on Thanksgiving or perhaps the weekend before?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...