Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Sunday With No Special

Why is it that the weekend goes by so gosh darn quickly?!?  I woke up this morning and thought about lazing around in bed but then remembered that parish breakfast was on my plate so I got up, got dressed, down my last few handfuls of blueberries, and drove to church.  I had to walk from the parking garage to the cathedral and boy was it cold but I quickly thawed when I got into the warm kitchen.  There wasn’t a special this time around but there were sautéed onions in the eggs.  That was new and apparently people loved it because we actually had to whip up fresh eggs after running out before the crowd had finished filing through.  As it stood, once the people thinned out, there wasn’t any hot food left so I contented myself with a cup of apple turnover yogurt.

IMG_6081

I went out into the dining room to listen to the Dean’s Forum and found the last half of a blueberry bagel left over from coffee hour.  I picked it up, ate half, and then through the rest away.  I got anxious about eating straight up bread.  I have a thing about not eating things that have “no purpose”.  Basically, bread is all carbs which, while they provide quick energy, don’t have much staying power.  There isn’t any protein, any ooomph.  Hence, I feel like I’m consuming calories that aren’t really worth it.  Yea, so I throw it away and went upstairs for service.

When I got back home, I changed and headed to the fitness center to get in 30 minutes of elliptical before doing Jillian Michael’s ab workout again in my apartment.  I definitely felt the burn!  To refuel post-workout I made up a peanut butter yogurt mess with wheat puffs, corn Chex, cinni-mini, and coco puffs.  I topped it off with a banana and chia seeds.

IMG_6082

I consumed this masterpiece as I talked with mom on the phone.  We hadn’t spoken for a few days so we caught up for a while.  When we finished I showered, drained the cannellini beans that had finished in the crockpot, and headed out on a gas and grocery run.  I scored a full tank at $3.19 a gallon and saw an interesting sign at the station.

IMG_6083

Oh, if only I was willing to part with another $0.99 and actually liked coffee more… I would be all over this chocolate cupcake cappuccino in a heart beat.  But, because I really don’t like coffee and I needed to get to the store, I skipped.  There wasn’t much I skipped at Walmart though.  I ended up with lots of dried beans (to stoke my new love of cooking beans in the crockpot and my this-week-vegetarianism), brown rice, and split peas along with some super cool cutips.

IMG_6085IMG_6084

Yes, bright pink cutips, that’s right.  They were actually less expensive than the cheapest all white ones so why not?  I think they’re pretty sweet.  Anyways, after putting everything away once I got home, I whipped up some Holy Deliciousness Hummus (but I forgot the garlic so I figure I’ll add garlic powder to the mix any time I dole some out) in Vera, the Vitamix.

IMG_6086IMG_6087IMG_6088

I tested some of it out with chips and then had a few of those said chips with salsa to tide me over while some brown rice cooked up.  Speaking of brown rice, I swear that I may have a love affair with my rice cooker.  The ability to not think about something while it cooks is a great especially when it is something that is rough to cook, like rice.  Basically it lets you focus on other things, like making hummus, while your grain cooks away.  All hail the rice cooker!

IMG_6089

Once the rice finished I mixed it with leftover red curry from last night and topped it with feta for dinner.  The curry was just as good the second time around.  Perhaps the flavors had even deepened a little bit.  Yummy!

IMG_6090

Late evening was spent working on my confined placental mosaicism and chimera presentation.  Sadly it moved, and is currently going, slower than I had hoped.  I think it’s due to the fact that the terminology behind the concepts is pretty intense and it’s been a long time since I have taken developmental biology.  Oh well.  I’ll get there eventually.  Thankfully I don’t have to give the talk until the 28th.  A bit later, dessert came as a time-well-spent reward when I called it a night.  I had more leftover cake scraps topped with crushed peanut butter pretzels, chocolate chips, chocolate frozen yogurt, and chocolate/caramel sauce.

IMG_6091

Tasty, tasty if I do say so myself.  Now, I think I’ll finish up 27 Dresses and get some sleep because I have hours of lab work and medical reports to write tomorrow.  Well then, peace out world.  Let’s get this week started!

Questions: What was the best part of your weekend?
Do you have a favorite appliance in your household kitchen?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...