Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dates & Drinks

What a lovely weekend!  I had such a great time.  Friday night started off with a date to one of our favorite places to eat Italian food.  Of course, we started off with the obligatory bread basket with oil and pesto to dip in.

IMG_6151

We were going to get a starter but we opted out of that seeing as the bread would be plenty and honestly, most of the appetizers were different variations on blood anyways.  We decided to get drinks instead.  I got the special of the night, the Hemingway daiquiri, and Jack got a red-headed martini.

IMG_6152imageIMG_6153

Our greens came out with the drinks.  I got a house salad with balsamic vinaigrette on the side and Jack, predictably, got the Caesar salad.  If he ever has a choice, he picks Caesar every time, hands down.  It’s kind of cute.

IMG_6154

Shortly after, our entrees arrived.  I get one thing and one thing only when I go here: the lobster and shrimp mac & cheese.  It’s beyond delicious.  Jack is a bit more adventurous than I am so this time he chose a signature dish.

imageIMG_6155imageIMG_6156

Both dishes were fantastic.  I ended up taking some of mine home because I was saving major room for dessert.  We both got gelato (he had double Belgian chocolate and I had cinnamon fig) and split a cannoli.  Nomnom.

IMG_6157

Following dinner, it was time to shake our groove thangs…haha.  Jack and I headed to a formal dance being held by the swing dance scene we’re a part of.  It’s always so much fun to see everyone all dolled up and pretty, dancing the night away.

IMG_6159IMG_6161IMG_6163

By the time we got home after the event, we were pretty wiped (Jack especially) so we crashed into bed and slept really well.  The next day Jack spent some time with friends so I had a friend date with Stephanie.  We got lunch at Camille’s Sidewalk Café and I ordered the Veganini with grilled eggplant, feta, roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomato pesto, red onions, pesto-mayo, and balsamic glaze on focaccia bread.

IMG_6165

It was really good and I really enjoyed the mesh of flavors.  I would totally order it again.  After lunch we did some girl stuff (a.k.a. shopping and perusing the racks for cute clothes) and caught up on each other’s lives.  It was a nice afternoon and when I made my way back to Jack’s apartment I started work on my confined placental mosaicism/chimera presentation.  I made decent progress before Jack got home and then we started our second (my third) date of the weekend.  We decided to have dinner in so ate my five bites of leftovers from the night before and Jack joined in with some pasta leftovers of his own from earlier in the week.  We also spilt a plate of strawberries and blackberries.

IMG_6169IMG_6168

When we had finished our light dinner, we hopped in the car and headed to a local bar/restaurant for drinks and dessert.  We had to wait a bit for a table but finally seated ourselves at a high top and ordered dill chips while we checked out the drink menu.  You cannot go wrong with fried pickles, ever.

IMG_6172

For our first round, Jack got a Blue Moon Winter Ale and I got a Skinny Girl Margarita with salt on the rim.  The beer was nice and heavy, in the best way, and my drink was light and lime-y!

IMG_6171

For our dessert round, we noshed on the German Chocolate Cake which was rolled in toffee pieces.  Man, this was good.  It is made without coconut so I’m not sure I would call it a German Chocolate variety but it certainly was a kick-butt chocolate cake.  =D

IMG_6179

To drink, I had the s’mores martini and Jack got the chocolate martini.  Mine had graham cracker dust on the rim and Jack’s had fine chocolate powder on the rim.  Both drinks were smooth and velvety.

IMG_6180

We paid the tab and departed for the movie theater because we already had tickets for This Means War.

IMG_6170

It has been a long time since we’ve seen a movie together in the theater.  I feel like it actually might have been back in the summer when we saw Harry Potter at the midnight premiere.  It was nice to catch a flick on its opening weekend though man, the theater was packed.  The movie itself was very cute and funny.  I really liked it though I would have ended it differently.  I would recommend it for a cutesy night out, certainly.

Again wiped after a long day, we headed to bed and woke up this morning for a nice brunch.  I chopped up some onion and whipped some eggs while Jack shredded some spinach and chunked up mushrooms.  We scrambled the eggs into the veggies and served those up with pepper and garlic powder.  Also on the plate, half a banana smeared with peanut butter (oh so good) and some blueberries.

IMG_6181

It was a scrumptious brunch that held me over while I did more presentation work.  I finished it up, e-mailed it off, and then we headed over to the fitness center to get our sweat on.  I did some elliptical and bike cardio and then a weight circuit filled with V-raises, skater lunges, weighted squats, and push-up rows.  Jack did weights the whole time.  By the time we headed back, it was already 3:30p so we made refueling sandwiches and watched another Stargate episode.  I had a mustard, guacamole, colby jack, and chickpea grilled cheese with plum, pretzels, and chocolate almonds on the side.

IMG_6182

A bit later I headed home and stopped at Meijer to take advantage of some great deals on strawberries, blueberries, and bread.  Once home I was hungry so I spread some refried beans and guacamole on a piece of toast and inhaled it before my camera made the scene.  Whoops.  Haha, now I’m relaxing on the couch, clearing out my DVR, and indulging in some chocolate frozen yogurt, strawberries, crushed graham crackers, and chocolate sauce before heading to bed to kick off this work/school week.

IMG_6183

Questions: When was your last date?
What’s your favorite drink to order?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...