Wednesday, February 22, 2012

You Are Dust…

…and to dust you shall return.

Happy Ash Wednesday everyone and welcome to the season of Lent.  To get the most obvious question out of the way, I am giving up swearing for these next weeks.  I know it’s not chocolate, dessert, French fries, or meat (oh wait, I kind of already did that…) but it is something that I noticed I do a lot sometimes so I figured focusing on it and using each time I am about to swear as an opportunity to say hello to God would do me well.

Along with being the first day of Lent, it is also a Wednesday and you know what that means!!

Let’s do this.  Breakfast was eaten in the shuttle on the way to campus, hence the poorly lit picture.  I made a chocolate banana bread protein cake and topped it with peanut butter, chia, and maple.  I totally meant to put honey on it but I was almost late and in the midst of haste I totally forgot.  Oh well, it was delicious.

IMG_6204

Once at school I did some preclinic prep work before some of the ladies and I headed off to Psychosocial class.  We talked about decision making and go to talk to a woman who was tested presymptomatically for Huntington’s disease.  It was very neat to speak with her and I cannot imagine having to make that same choice.  To deliberately find out whether or not I am going to get a mentally and physically debilitating disease by age 35… That’s rough.

Lunch was eaten very shortly after our return to the student room.  I was so hungry.  I chowed down on whole wheat spaghetti, roasted vegetables, and chickpeas all tossed in thai sunbutter sauce.

IMG_6205

It hit the spot and kept me full all afternoon while I called out patient results, cleaned up files, and did a bunch of presentation work.  It took all afternoon but I made some serious progress.  I was pleased.  I snacked on a Jonagold apple while I worked.

IMG_6206

Shortly after I threw away my apple core, I headed to catch the 4:30p shuttle home.  Traffic was a bit burdensome but we got back to the apartment complex in one piece, thankfully.  Once I was in my living room, I realized I had to turn right back around to go to church for the Imposition of Ashes service.  I was hungry again however so I toasted up a piece of bread and smeared it with ricotta cheese and homemade apple butter.

IMG_6207

This was just right and kept my tummy happy through the whole church service.  I always forget how eerie this particular service is because it’s very quiet.  There aren’t a lot of songs.  There isn’t a lot of organ work.  It’s silent a lot of the time to encourage reflection and self-examination.  I don’t have a problem with it but I typically forget, yes every single year, so it always catches me off guard.  I will say that it’s a beautifully haunting version of eerie, not a creepy version so that’s good.

IMG_6215

I walked back home from church after mass was over and immediately got myself in workout mode.  I was going to go to the fitness center for cardio but the wind was blowing so awfully that I literally almost blew away on my way home so I was not walking back out in it.  Instead I tried out the World’s Fastest Workout I saw on Pinterest.

As you can see, it’s supposed to burn as many calories as a 40-60 minute run and boost your metabolism for 12-36 hours afterwards.  After completing it, thanks to following the video below, I’m not sure about those claims but it got my heart rate up for sure.  Not a half bad thing to do when I don’t feel like going out of the apartment for cardio.

I followed that 4-minute workout with 35 minutes of Jillian Michaels 6-week 6-pack.  It has been about 6 weeks I think since I started so I’ll be doing a review of the workout and a pictorial time lapse of my results.  Check back in for that sometime soon!

After my workout I ate a late dinner (it was already 8pm at night!) of a baked sweet potato topped with homemade refried beans, Mexican seasoned tempeh, and rather sad-looking but rather delicious-tasting guacamole.  On the side I had carrots, celery, and tomatoes with ranch dip (fat free ranch mixed with Chobani fat free yogurt).

IMG_6220IMG_6221

I nibbled on this while I watched Glee from yesterday along with a few other shows from my DVR.  When I finished up I set out to polish off my CPM/Chimera presentation, which I did (yay!), and I did a few things on my Cancer Genetics class case presentation.  All in all I was nicely productive so I’m heading to bed now I think.  Who’s getting 8 hours?  That would be this girl, right here.  Sleep well friends!

Questions: Did you celebrate Ash Wednesday today?
What are you giving up for Lent?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...