Saturday, April 14, 2012

Breakfast Food Kind Of Day

We all know that breakfast food is good.  It’s so good sometimes that I have it all day round.  Like today.  I had some great morning munchies for brunch AND dinner.  =D  Around 9am, I woke up and had an orange with peanut butter to get me going for the gym.

IMG_6858

I did 30 minutes on the elliptical then came home and took a shower before David picked me up for brunch.  We traveled to the north side of the city for a little hole in the wall called A2Z.  It was small: we’re talking maybe fourteen tables.  We waited for a bit and then a couple who was sitting at a table for four split their table in two and we finally had seats.  We checked out the menu and I decided on the A2Z signature omelet: bacon, chorizo, tomato, spinach, and goat cheese.  The omelet came with a choice of potatoes or tomatoes (seriously, who picks the sliced tomatoes…umm, not this girl) and then either toast or a maple cinnamon raisin English muffin.  I chose the potatoes and the English muffin.  Apparently the latter is a specialty because they rub it with butter and maple sugar.  Oh man, awesome.

IMG_6860

The omelet was freakin’ delicious.  I loved the chorizo and goat cheese.  One thing I would change: put the goat cheese INSIDE the omelet so it melts.  Also, the potatoes were pretty great too.  Nice and crusty, in the best way possible.  I had mine with ketchup.

While I was perusing the menu I also cam across the “colossal cinnamon roll” and I was sold pretty quick.  It was basically the size of a Cinnabon roll but it was flakier, tastier, and the icing wasn’t overwhelming because instead of being drenched in the typical white frosting it was glazed with a maple sugar glaze and then had more maple cinnamon sugar dumped on top.

IMG_6859

Yummy!

After brunch David and I chatted, paid the bill, and took off for home…just in time for it to downpour.  It rained cats and dogs all the way home and I spent the afternoon snuggled up on the couch doing work on my Psychosocial class paper due on the 25th.  I actually made huge progress and I intend to finish it tomorrow and maybe do some studying as well.  Woot!

For a break I scooted on over to Walmart for some groceries.  I ended up getting a few more things than I had planned on but that always seems to happen.  I picked up tortillas instead of just bread like was on my list.  I intend to get my quesadilla/wrap on soon.  Some flax seed also landed in my cart on a whim.  I have been meaning to try it but I never could bring myself to buy it but it was on sale for $2 and I finished it was time to take the dive.

IMG_6861

I also grabbed some more mascara (I’m getting a bit low) and a cute orange bowl.  One can never have enough deep pretty colored bowls around the kitchen.

IMG_6862IMG_6863

When I got back from the store I was starting to get a bit hungry so I decided to make Julie’s banana pecan coconut oatmeal which I knew took time to bake.  It was tonight or never because these poor bananas weren’t going to make it much longer.

IMG_6864

While the oven was preheating I combined all the ingredients (though I only used a half cup of coconut and I reserved the pecans to sprinkle on top) and sprayed a muffin tin and two ramekins instead of a 2-quart casserole dish.  I used a fourth cup measure to fill up the muffin cups and used two 1/4 cup-fuls to top off the ramekins.  Worked like a charm.

IMG_6865IMG_6866

I ended up baking these babies for 30 minutes and then flipped them over on a cooling rack so they could cool and I could store them without them sweating all over the container in the fridge.

IMG_6867IMG_6870

I kept one of the ramekins for myself and I topped it with sliced strawberries, maple syrup, and chia seeds.  Breakfast part two for the day, this time masquerading as a hearty dinner.

IMG_6868

Let me just say, the oatmeal was so great.  It was perfectly chewy and the coconut was just present enough to flavor everything.  The bananas added just enough sweetness too plus it was such a big batch that I have PLENTY of leftover to keep me going for a while!  Maybe I should freeze some actually now that I think about it. 

Aside from the bake, I was also craving a bit of crunch and salt so I heated up a few asparagus spears with tomatoes and feta (yay Easter leftovers) and a small bowl of chex mix.

IMG_6869

After dinner I did more work on my paper and I watched the series premiere of The Client List on Lifetime.  I wouldn’t say it was the best series premiere but it may be the boldest (with the ever present exception of Battlestar Galactica) and I think I’ll stick around for a few more episodes to see how it pans out.  At the tail end of the premiere I was hankering for sweetness so I grabbed the dregs of my homemade chocolate peanut butter cheesecake ice cream and topped it with chocolate, caramel, chocolate-covered cherries, and maraschino cherries.

IMG_6871

Perfection in a jar.  Now I’m off to finish up a bit on my paper (I’m on a roll) and then I think I’ll read in bed.  I need to actually start a new book because I just finished Dear John this morning.  Any suggestions?

Questions: What breakfast food is best for “breakfast for dinner”?
If you could make your own ice cream, what flavor would it be?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...