Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Thai Taste

Tonight was a Thai food night, supper club style!

But I had to make it through a whole day before I got to sample my way through tons of courses of home-cooked food.  I started my day with a green monster carrot cake smoothie with a touch of walnut butter.  I consider the fact that my drink had both spinach AND carrots my extra cup of veggies for this WIAW.

IMG_6766IMG_6767

This tided me over through Psychosocial class in which we watched GATTACA.  What a great way to spend an hour and forty minutes of my life.  I love that movie and it was nice to not have to talk in class today, just sit and veg out.  After class we got our eats on real quick before heading over to hear Bekah’s thesis presentation in front of the whole department.  I had a cheesy hummus and pickle sandwich with tomatoes on the side.

IMG_6768

At the seminar Bekah did such a great job.  She was a natural.  Right afterwards I headed to work and not an hour into relabeling tubes I was ravenous so Phillip and I took an apple break.

IMG_6770

So much better, we continued relabeling and finished up around four.  I caught the 4:30p shuttle home and eventually did a workout after killing time on the internet.  I wasn’t as productive as I should have been but after my 30 minutes on the elliptical I felt a bit better.  I chomped down some string cheese for rebuilding protein and then showered before heading to Supper Club for Thai food!

IMG_6771

When I arrived there were little toasted coconut, lime, red onion, and peanut leaf wrap appetizers on each table.  The lime really made the dish.  I had two because I liked the clean flavors so much.

IMG_6773

The next courses all came rapid fire.  First was a papaya salad with sticky rice on the side.  Last time I had a papaya salad it wasn’t spicy at all; it was cool and refreshing.  Sadly, this time, that was not the case.  By the time I had shoveled all the goodness into my mouth, it was on FIRE!

IMG_6775

Still good but just wayyyy spicer than I was expecting.  Next up was a beef and cilantro dish with red onion.  It was not as spicy and had a bright green flavor.

IMG_6778

The spicy sausage with lemongrass came soon after.  It was as spicy as the papaya salad but I couldn’t stop eating it.  It had a flavor unlike any sausage I had ever had.

IMG_6779

If you like pork rinds, you would have loved the fourth main dish: seared pork bits with a sweet and sour glaze.  They were crunchy, chewy, and delicious all at the same time.  Yum.

IMG_6781

There was also a whole entire fish (with scary bones and all!) and fermented bamboo.  The bamboo was not too spicy and had a nice subtle salty flavor that really worked well.

IMG_6780IMG_6782

Next came two soups: a broth based seafood and mushroom soup and a green curry.  I had seconds and thirds of the green curry because it has the most incredible pumpkin in it I have ever tasted.  I also took some home with me.  Awesome!

IMG_6783IMG_6784

The last main course were these super duper salty eggs.  I had one tiny bite and got the shivers.  Yuck.

IMG_6785

Thankfully, we got our sweet on with coconut, jackfruit, and corn ice cream.  It sounds a little weird but I can assure you it was incredible.  I wanted more but honestly it was probably best to only have a small scoop.

IMG_6786

Another greatness of tonight, aside from the sweet food, was the awesome table of people I had.  I met some wonderful people, two of which were from Brazil, that I will hopefully be hanging out with soon.  I think we’re going to do lunch sometime.  Not only was being around them easy but we laughed and smiled and got on really well.  Also, they ate like me: second, thirds, fourths and all.  =D

Questions: What is your favorite Thai food?
Have you ever had a whole fish before?

2 comments:

  1. I like Thai but I don't eat it often enough to have a favorite. Love the spice!

    I would love to have your Green Monster Carrot Cake smoothie recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing :)

    [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out this post (http://dnaanddessert.blogspot.com/2011/08/short-sweet-and-stressful.html) for the recipe and just add in handfuls of spinach to make it a green monster version! Let me know how you like it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...