Sunday, April 29, 2012

Shortcakes

After a long day of studying and cleaning yesterday, I was thrilled to wake up and not have to hit the books right away.  Instead I headed to church to serve up some parish breakfast.  When I got there someone was already working on eggs so I took over the juice and toast station.  Our special was apple cinnamon French Toast which went real quick.  I didn’t have any of the breakfast but rather busied myself after the rush making shortcakes for our human needs ministry.  We rolled out the dough, egg-washed the tops, and sprinkled them with sugar.  They turned out an awesome golden brown on top.

downsized_0429121122

I was given one to take home with me as a thank you for helping bake.  It smelled up my whole car as I drove to and from Kroger for a few groceries.  I scored bananas, cottage cheese, some whipped cream cheese for my bagels, and some dill weed.  When I got home I was all sorts of hungry so I decided to try something new: homemade ranch dressing mix!

IMG_7094

I then added a 1/2 tablespoon of this to a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a tablespoon of sour cream.  Oh boy, it was spot on delicious!  I dipped celery sticks and tomatoes in it.  I had an orange on the side as well as a pickle and some chex mix.  It was a hodge-podge but it was what I wanted.

IMG_7095

I spent the afternoon studying much to my dismay.  I got a bit tired (like I couldn’t keep my eyes open) so I took a twenty-five minute nap.  When I got up I was in much better shape to memorize 36 hereditary cancer syndromes and tumor types with all their causative genes, symptoms, surveillance and management options, and associations.  In the late afternoon I got my interval on  in the gym.  I set myself up on a treadmill with my interval sheet (taken from fitsugar.com) on one side and my big pack of cytogenetics notes on the other.

IMG_7098

I must admit I like interval runs because it goes by so quickly.  You run the same amount as “normal” but then it over way before you know it.  It felt really nice.  After my run I walked over to the weight room and did some circuits:

  • Bicep curls with 10lb dumbbells
  • Tricep dips under own bodyweight
  • Sumo squats with 15lb dumbbell
    ________________________________________
  • Lat pull down with 40lbs
  • Inverted pike with exercise ball
  • Chest press with 40lbs
    ________________________________________
  • Olympic press with 10lb dumbbells
  • Jump squats (only 8 per round of these, my legs were pooped)
  • Knee roll-ins with exercise ball

I was super sweaty when I went home but I was also hungry so I put off my shower in order to make up some food.  I sautéed some minced garlic, onion, and green pepper in a bit of olive oil while two servings of lentils cooked.  I’ve found it’s easier to cook lentils if you cook at least a dry cup (which is technically four 1/4 cup servings but I eat them as two 1/2 cup servings) because then there is enough to boil and simmer well plus it makes leftovers!  Anyways, I added teriyaki tempeh to the sauté and let it brown up.  I then threw in lentils and some sweet and sour sauce and mixed it all.  It was very delicious and just what I needed after my run.  On the side were some rather large green grapes.

IMG_7096IMG_7097

The rest of the evening, the whole of it really since I ate around 5:30p, was spent studying even more until I took a break to write this blog and have a sweet treat.  I sliced up half the shortcake and stuffed it with sauced strawberries and whipped cream.  I had some chocolate peanut butter cheesecake ice cream in the same bowl.

IMG_7099

Man, the shortcake was incredible.  It was one of the best study breaks ever.  However, it’s over now and I need to get back to it.  I think I’m going to tuck into bed and do some more memorizing.  I don’t have to go into school tomorrow so it’ll be nice to not have to be up at 7am.  I think I’ll let myself sleep in and then I’ll study.  Maybe I’ll make pancakes too…

Friday French –>

NEW ONE
Phrase: Je déteste l'étude pour les finales.
Translation: I hate studying for finals.
Story: It’s finals week and I’m overwhelmed. ‘Nuff said.

Questions: Are you coming up on finals week too?
What’s your favorite interval workout?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...