Monday, August 8, 2011

The Day of Errands

Today was a Monday and it did not feel like it at all.

Jack spent a lot of time last night unpacking and organizing so we didn’t get to bed until around 1am.  That meant that this morning I slept until 10am, got up, debated getting Jack up right away and decided to give him another 30 minutes of sleep.  I went into the kitchen only to realize that he obviously didn’t have any peanut butter let alone frozen bananas so I foraged for something to eat before our workout.  I found this EnviroKidz crispy rice bar.  I had a bite of it and then went to get Jack out of bed.

IMG_2736

We headed over to his new fitness center and were greeted by two ellipticals, two treadmills, two stairmasters, a reclined stationary bike and an upright stationary bike.

IMG_2737

The downstairs room also had a weight machine section with some dumbbells.

IMG_2739

We both chose to do an elliptical workout so I hopped on the one behind him only to realize that he was almost too tall for the machine.  As he went about his workout, his head hovered anywhere from half an inch to two inches from the ceiling at any given moment.  I was honestly waiting for him to just smack his head but, to my surprise, he never did.

I ended up doing 30 minutes on the machine and increased from level 7 to level 9 throughout the workout making sure to keep my pace between 7.2-8.5 mph depending on how hard I was going at the time.  After finishing my cardio I hit the weights for the first time in a bit.  I did the following on the upright machine:

  • Lat Pull: 3x40lbs
  • Bench Press: 2x40lbs, 1x50lbs
  • Leg Extension: 3x50lbs

Using the free weights I did some more exercises:

  • Overhead Tricep Curls: 3x10lbs
  • Squats: 3x10lbs
  • Standing Weighted Oblique Crunches: 3x10lbs each side

I was terribly sweaty when I finished but it felt great to get a session in.

IMG_2745

Jack did a whole bunch too and by the time we headed back, we were both fairly hungry.  Having basically nothing in the apartment, it was determined that a shower followed by an immediate departure for Panera for lunch and Walmart for groceries was the plan.  Once at Panera, I ordered a You Pick Two lunch with a lemon chicken orzo soup bread bowl and a half strawberry poppyseed & chicken salad.

IMG_2746

It was scrumptious.  I attacked the salad first to give my bread bowl a chance to become utterly saturated with broth.  The dressing with light and complimented the four kinds of fruit in the salad: blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, and mandarin oranges.  The pecan encrusted chicken slices on top of the romaine were nice too.

IMG_2747

In terms of the other component of my lunch, I had never had this particular soup before.  I will say, without a doubt, it is aptly named.  The lemon flavor is very strong and pronounced.  In fact, I even got a whole lemon “wheel” in my portion.

IMG_2749

Not being shy, I ate it and it was delicious.  Soft and soaked in broth is obviously the way to eat lemon.  Not one bit bitter.

Having finished our wonderful lunch, we set out to Walmart and stocked up on all the staples like ketchup, salad dressing/marinades, cereal, and pickles.  Yes, dill pickle spears are a must.  We love them.  We arrived back at the apartment with goods in hand only to throw the cold stuff into the freezer and fridge and turn right back around to drive the hour it takes to get to Jack’s chiropractor.  He got adjusted in about three minutes and we headed home (another hour drive). 

IMG_2750

My Panera apple was consumed on the way back as a late day snack.  Coming into town we stopped at Sam’s Club for discounted gas and some other food needs (he loves his Ritz) then traveled to Aldi to grab spices for dinner and Walmart, again, for another lamp.

I must say I enjoy shopping but wow, this was a lot even for me, especially in one day.  When we finally got home, for good this time, Jack started dinner.  I exchanged some light bulbs and assembled the new lamp in the meantime.  By about 8 o’clock dinner was ready for eating and I was more than ready to do just that.

IMG_2751

Tonight’s menu included thin spaghetti mixed with broccoli, cauliflower, sautéed onion, and Italian style chicken sausage.  All this was tossed with some traditional spaghetti sauce.  I took one bite and decided it needed something so I started with garlic powder and when that didn’t do it, I added some onion powder.  BAM!  Perfection.

IMG_2754

Jack’s modem/router arrived today so after dinner he set up the whole system and ended up spending a bunch of time on the phone with the internet company who actually had to backdoor the whole set up process.  In the end, though, it all worked and I was officially on “Cloud Nine”.  Nifty network name huh?

For something sweet to end the night, we dipped into the Rocky Road ice cream.  Because Jack didn’t have an ice cream scoop and his poor little spoons looked like they might bend and break dealing with the frozen dessert, I pulled out the big guns.

IMG_2755

IMG_2759

Just a half cup serving, right?  Sure…or two or four…

IMG_2760

This was a cool treat to end a fairly hectic day.  I have no idea what we’ll do for the rest of the night but maybe a streaming Netflix movie is in order…

Question: How many shopping trips is too many for you in one day?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...