Friday, August 19, 2011

Rock My World Redskins

It is official everyone, we are just two weekend days away from the first day of classes!

This morning was orientation for my genetic counseling program so I was up at 7:30 to get dressed and have breakfast.  The dress was casual so I ended up choosing jeans and a t-shirt.  When I made my way to the kitchen I decided on leftover french toast.  To add some protein I topped it with chocolate PB2 and chia seeds.

IMG_3086

I made a pink travel mug of pineapple lychee tea to take with me on my walk.  Since I live just about a mile and a half from campus, walking really doesn’t bother me.  It means I don’t have to pay for parking and if all else fails, I have a bus pass that will grant me access to the Red Line which will take me right to campus.  I figure I’ll use that option in the rain and snow and otherwise crappy weather.  In the meantime, it’s 70 degrees and sunny in the mornings so walking is totally nice.

I left 45 minutes early to ensure I could make the journey and arrive at the conference room on time.  I knew there was construction down on campus so I buffered my time in case I should have to find an alternate route.  I ended up arriving 10 minutes early but I was actually the 4th person to arrive.  The girls who were already there all have 30 minute commutes so they had left EXTRA early to figure out the whole parking situation.  Can’t blame ‘em but I will say I’m glad to not have to deal with that now.

The actual meat of orientation took about an hour and we were presented with these gigantic binders of information.  The funny thing is that we didn’t actually go over any of that today.  We are supposed to peruse the binders, sign papers saying we read them, and then on Thursday we’ll actually go through them in detail with the director.  After the administrative stuff, we took a tour so we could be aware of where our classes would be.  I’m so glad we did this too because it hadn’t even occurred to me that I have NO IDEA where my classes were.

When we were finished, I headed to the health center to have my TB test read (negative!) and then walked home.  It was hotter out at this point but still a pleasant walk.  By the time I got home I had decided I would change into workout clothes and hit up the fitness center.  I did 18 minutes on the stationary bike and 15 on the elliptical.  I broke a nice sweat and become pretty hungry.  To refuel I made a classic: peanut butter and turkey!  Thanks to Julie for reminding me of this awesomeness.

IMG_3089

On the side I had multigrain chips (fantastic crunch), peanut butter filled pretzels, and plantain chips.  I sliced a plum too.

IMG_3088

I showered, changed, and headed right back out to run a few more errands and all told, I ended up walking about 5 miles today.  I think it’s so incredible to live in a place where I can walk to so many things.  I have everything that I need right around me.  It’s greatly convenient and it just solidifies my decision to live in the city.  So glad I did!

I was greeted by a package in my mail when I got home.  My SPIbelt arrived today!!  I got one for when I run either on the treadmill or outside.  I hate having to carry keys or my iTouch so this was the perfect option.

IMG_3090IMG_3093

Yes, I got orange because I love it that much.  Can’t wait to use it tomorrow!

Confession #1: I am an organizer.

I love to put everything in its proper place and make notes and calendars and lists.  This is how I function and Lord knows it has served me well in my schooling through now.  Indulging this side of myself, I spent the late part of the evening getting everything the way it should be for my classes on Monday.  Even made, color coded, and printed off my schedule and slipped it into my binder so it never gets lost and is always with me.  Score.

IMG_3096

It occurred to me while I was being diligent that I was ravenous so I raided the fridge for leftovers and came up with this yummy bowl:

IMG_3098

I combined leftover brown rice, Chinese broccoli, and some cannellini beans.  Pop that sucker in the microwave for a minute or so and I proceeded to shovel every bite into my mouth.  I could EASILY make an entire recipe of Chinese broccoli and scarf down the whole thing.  It was just as good the second time around.

Dinner was eaten on the couch in front of my computer searching for used cars.

IMG_3097

I found some really alluring orange options but we’ll have to see what happens.  We are only getting a set amount from the insurance company because my car was declared a ‘total loss’. My parents then have a very specific idea of the make/model/year of the car they would like to see me in with regards to safety, low repair frequency, great gas mileage, etc.  However, it appears that the $$ we’ve been offered isn’t going to be enough to completely cover the cost of my ‘new’ car.  I don’t know if we’ll adjust our search parameters of just bite the bullet.  It is incredible the resale value of some kinds of cars…

Confession #2: I am a Washington Redskins fan.

I’ll be honest, we’re usually in a race for last place in our division but that doesn’t stop me from loving them.  I was born and raised in DC and I can remember watching games with my dad forever ago.  In this vein, the Redskins played the Colts tonight and you can bet I was all over that game.  We had a beautiful opening drive ending in a touchdown.  Can you say PHENOMENAL?  I can.  =D

Just after halftime I made myself some dessert.  I had some deep dish cookie pie leftover from the party last night so I paired that with the ice cream mom and I picked up.

IMG_3099

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness.  Stellar.  Plain and simple.  The cookie had been heated for 20 seconds so it started to melt the ice cream.  It was heaven.

Not only was dessert amazing, the Redskins WON!!  They played really well so I’m hoping this is indicative of what is to come during the regular season.  If they can keep up the momentum, they are now 2-0 in the preseason, I think we have a shot this year.  *knock on wood*

My bed is calling me…loudly.  I only got 7 hours of sleep and to be honest, I am an 8 hour kind of lady.  Without anything planned for tomorrow, I’ll get to sleep in.  Sounds like a plan to me.  G’night one and all!  Have a super weekend.

Questions: Do you watch football?  Who do you root for?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm peanut butter and turkey I haven't tried that one before!!! I root for the U of Michigan wolverines and my high school team, of course. Good luck with your genetic counseling program!!! I wish I could walk so many places from where I live!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...