Monday, August 29, 2011

To Cake Or Not To Cake

Week number two of classes has started, everyone.  Now we get into the real swing of things.

The day started with a new breakfast item.  Inspired by some recipes, I got my breakfast cake on! 

IMG_3301

Protein Packed Breakfast Cake
Inspired by Foodie Fresh’s wonderful recipe.

If you love oatmeal and oat bran on their own, this cake takes them to a whole new level and gives you a way to shake up your oat routine.  Makes one serving!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (20g) oats
1/6 cup (20g) oat bran
10g vanilla protein powder
1/4 baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp Stevia (more if you aren’t using sweetened protein powder)
1 egg white
2 tbsp almond milk

How to:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Add in the milk and the egg white and combine well.
3. Pour into an oiled ramekin and microwave for 60-90 seconds (depends on how you feel about potentially undercooked egg whites).
4. Pop out the cake with a baby spatula and enjoy!

IMG_3303

I topped mine with a smear of homemade sunbutter and a drizzle of maple syrup.  You know what was particularly awesome about this breakfast?  It kept me full for over four hours.  I can’t ask for more in a meal.

Class was a bit slow this morning.  I had done the reading but it has been three days so I was a bit rusty on the information.  Thankfully our prof didn’t seem to mind.  We worked on understanding the medical genetics clinic intake sheet for a good portion of the class and then did a practice session to get used to collecting all the relevant information.  I was so nervous and after some probably inappropriate laughter I sank into the groove and it got easier.  I felt alright at the end though I must say that the intake sheet is HEFTY.

After class the first years headed back to the student room and started getting productive on our various homework and reading assignments.  We were greeted by a tray of goodies which haunted me for day.

IMG_3304

I managed not to have a bite and I was proud of that.  When I finally was semi-kind of-ish hungry for lunch on my own terms (not the brownie bite’s/mini pecan pie’s terms), I ate my yogurt mess that I had brought with me.

IMG_3305

There were four types of cereals: wheat puffs, Fiber One Honey Squares, crispy chocolate oats, and Peanut Butter & Chocolate Puffins.  Also in the bowl were chia seeds and plain yogurt.  This may seem like a fun concoction but it is crunchy, sweet, filling and altogether amazing.

IMG_3306

After a few more hours of hard work, we headed to Human Genetics for class.  I got a bit tired during his discussion of sister chromatid exchange but perked up again for the remainder of the class.  At this point most of the things are topics that we already know from our undergraduate careers but there was one thing that was news to me: mitotic/somatic recombination.  Hmmmm, really now?

I walked home after class and when I got home I changed and went for a work out session.  18 minutes on the treadmill (0-5min at 6mph, 5-10mph at 6.5mph, 10-14 at 7mph, 14-15 at 7.5mph) were followed by 10 on the elliptical and 10 on the reclined stationary bike.  All told, the workout did wonders for my mood and my body.  Loved it, plus I got SWEATY!

IMG_3309

When I was finished I went back to my apartment, showered, swathed myself in all orange comfortable pajama clothes (I needed some consoling) and started reading the million chapters due on Wednesday in Communications class.  In one of them it was talking about Bayesian risk assessment and Lordie, will you just check out this crazy equation we are supposed to use?

IMG_3311

I couldn’t even wrap my head around it and I’m sure I read it three seven times.  Then, on the back of that page, another chapter talked about analogies a genetic counselor may potentially use in a session and oh my word, they had one about Harry Potter!

IMG_3312

Needless to say, it made my evening.  I give props to any author who can successfully integrate pop culture and learning.  =D  In the midst of all the pages of reading, I slipped in a dinner of leftover lasagna and my last plum.

IMG_3310

The lasagna still tastes good and man, so simple and easy and awesome when you just don’t want to cook or don’t have the time to dedicate to it.  After dinner, I continued to work, had a long phone conversation with mommy and finally settled onto the couch to blog and watch some trash TV.  I needed something mindless.

I also needed dessert, as always.  I was in desperate want of cake so I made it happen.  Who wants another triple layer slice??  I used whipped vanilla frosting, butterscotch chips, and marshmallows as the filling and then added a side (and unfortunately the last of) my double dark chocolate Talenti gelato.  Chocolate sauce was also a must on top.

IMG_3315IMG_3316

I admit, I could never ever get tired of this dessert.  It was beyond perfect for tonight.  Couldn’t have asked for anything better.  Now I think I’m going to finish off the night with a DVRed episode of Hell’s Kitchen.  Good night everyone!  I will catch you after tomorrow’s festivities and get ready for Tune Tuesday because it’s coming!

Question: Do you intentionally make large recipes so you can enjoy leftovers later or are you a single-serving kind of person?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...