Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Dessert Kind of Day

I must say it’s nice to not have anything on the docket when you first wake up.  I started feeling awake around 9 o’clock and soaked up another 15 minutes of light sleep before getting up and checking out my Google Reader.  Remember that 300 unread number?  Pre-workout snackage was a frozen banana bite covered with homemade cinnamon peanut butter.

IMG_2391

I got Jack up and we headed over to the fitness center to work out together.  He got on the reclined stationary bike and read his book while I jumped on the treadmill for a run.  I did about 5 minutes before the channel I was watching changed shows and I realized I had seen the program before.  I hopped off to change the channel and the treadmill restarted itself so I just started over.  All in all, I probably did about 23ish minutes before switching to the reclined stationary bike for a 13 minute session of hills at level 5-10 difficulty.  We both did some weights afterwards.  I did:

  • Leg Press: 3x80lbs
  • Lat Pull: 3x40lbs
  • Rows: 3x40lbs
  • Woodchops: 10 each side with 16lbs in free weights

When we entered the apartment we were hungry so we made our breakfasts to replenish our fuel stores.  I made a peanut butter banana dough smoothie inspired by this recipe while Jack chose to make two eggs and two pieces of toast to sop up all the super yolky goodness.  (His breakfast looked so good I asked him to cook me up some tomorrow after our workout.)

IMG_2392

IMG_2393

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unpacking of books and DVDs ensued as well as some to do list items after our late brunch.  The repair man came and changed my living room AC dial with is helpful seeing as I can now set a temperature properly instead of it always blowing cold air.  I finally ended up in the shower and then it was time for a late lunch.

IMG_2395

I chowed down on a piece of whole grain toast smeared with baba ganouj and sprinkled with creole seasoning.  I also had some nectarine and plum slices on the side.  Next, Jack and I took a walk through the city.  I needed to mail back the Comcast DVR and remote so we found a UPS store on the way.  It was great to explore a bit and I love that everything is so close.  We saw a bunch of places we want to eat at eventually.  I really relish the idea of going on a walking dinner date.  Can’t wait!

Speaking of dinner dates actually, the second years in my program decided to invite the first years who had already moved to the area to dinner at Chili’s.  It was great to meet them in person and get to know them in a very informal setting.  In terms of food Julie, a fellow first year, and I did the 2 for $20 deal.  To start, we split the Fried Cheese appetizer.

IMG_2396

The name may not sound super elegant or whatnot but there is something about deep frying mozzarella cheese that is just plain scrumptious.  My entrée was the Margarita Grilled Chicken.  It was on a bed of rice and black beans with some broken tortilla chips.

IMG_2397

Pro tip: squeeze the lime all over everything.  It makes the whole dish that much more fantastic.  I didn’t finish all the rice because I ended up liking the black beans better with the chicken.  All in all, great dish.  Plus, one of the second years offered me the pickle slices from her burger plate which I gladly accepted and downed.  I love pickles.

Julie and I didn’t get dessert but some of the people at the table did and that got me thinking about what I wanted for dessert when I got home.  The girls next to me go the molten chocolate cake which set off a light in my brain: cookie dough cake and ice cream.

I made a whole wheat cookie dough cake using a recipe modified from this awesome post.  Besides scaling down the recipe for a single serving, I used dark, white, butterscotch, and semi-sweet chips (just a few of each) to add some variety to the dessert, an egg white instead of a whole egg, a brown sugar/Stevia split, and yogurt butter instead of stick butter.  The result really is more of a cake than a cookie and that is totally fine with me.

IMG_2403

Now, don’t you think I would just stop there and enjoy this masterpiece straight from the oven?  Oh no, not even close.  Ice cream came next.

IMG_2404

Don’t worry, your eyes aren’t deceiving you.  There are indeed three kinds of ice cream surrounding my cake.  I used Edy’s Slow Churned Butter Pecan and Mud Pie then some Talenti Double Dark Chocolate Gelato.  By the way, if you haven’t discovered Talenti gelato, you have been royally deprived.  Get some.  Preferably sea salt caramel or the double dark chocolate.

Now, ice cream was not enough.  Please people, this crazy awesome dessert needed something else.  As if it wasn’t sweet enough, I know.  Chocolate syrup, marshmallows, and sprinkles.  Don’t mind if I do. 

IMG_2405

Yes, please.

Now THAT, ladies and genlemen, is how you end a dessert kind of day.  I was in heaven and now I’m rounding out the night with some America’s Got Talent and Chopped.  G’night!

Question: What’s your favorite dessert??

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...