Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pulled Pork Perfection

Today was the beginning of barbeque season!

My catechumenate group all met up at the dean’s house for a party of sorts to celebrate the end of our course together.  It was so great to see everyone again because I feel like I was going through withdrawal!  Haha.  Like I said, we all met up at the BEAUTIFUL home of our dean for a barbeque.


I seriously wanted his house. Oh. My. Gosh.  It was incredible.  It felt so much like a Spanish house with tile and multi-levels and just awesomeness everywhere.  I would have taken more pictures but I didn’t want to creep anyone out.  When I got inside I snagged a Summer Shandy to start.


Whoever thought to combine beer and lemonade was rockin’ it.  We eventually moved into the kitchen for dinner after some long conversations.  I explained what genetic counseling was about four-ish times.  Apparently I explain it really well.  One person even said “finally a person in the medical field who didn’t use any big words so much so that I actually understood!!”  It felt so great.  Anyways, dinner!  We had coleslaw, potato salad, green beans with mushrooms, and some of the best pulled pork I have ever had.  It was made dry so you could add whichever BBQ sauce you wanted.  There were legit ten different kinds on the table!  There were also some veggies and I took some cucumbers, carrots, grape tomatoes, and even a bleu cheese stuffed olive.


I went back for a bit more pork and even, lo and behold, a few more olives!  I also had some cookies.  Okay, make that a lot of the cookies selection.  They were melt in your mouth delicious peanut butter ones and some iced sugar ones too.  Oh man, good.  After dinner we had some ministry discussion and eventually I excused myself from the casual conversation after to come home and study.

The rest of the day was fun too.  I started off with some chai latte oatmeal in an old cottage cheese container which had about a fourth cup left in it.  I added flax seed on top and some honey.  It was heavenly.


Work happened in the morning.  More tubes, more relabeling, more being cold in the freezer room.  Lunch break was again, as always, a welcome time.  I had a salad with honey roasted peanuts on top.  It was kind of addicting and delish.  I’m fairly sure I inhaled it.


I went to preclinic conference shortly after I clocked out of work.  I was doing so well and then this happened on my way out of the student room.


I allowed myself a miniature Reese’s.  Mmmm, it was perfect.  Kept me going through my case presentations of the two patients I’ll see tomorrow.  I spent the rest of the afternoon doing some work on teratogens.  I tried to call the person who left a message yesterday but I ended up leaving a message of my own.  Before heading out to catch the shuttle I downed an orange.


Once I arrived home I changed and did 15 minutes on the elliptical.  Then I moved to the weight room and did two quick circuits before doing another 15 on the elliptical.

  • Chest press – 40lbs
  • Leg press – 120lbs
  • Lat pull – 40lbs
  • Calf press – 120lbs
  • Bicep curl – 10lb dumbbells
  • Standing weighted oblique crunches – 10lb dumbbells
  • Dumbbell swing squats – 10lb dumbbells
  • Tricep press – 10lb dumbbells

Satisfied with my burn, I hopped in the shower real quick and ate some string cheese to hold me over until the BBQ and give my muscles some protein to rebuild.


I then walked to my car.  Who did I bump into but Miss Mary herself looking incredibly fresh faced and boho on this spring afternoon.  We caught up and chatted for a few minutes and then parted ways.  I love casual run-ins.  I love good days.

Questions: How was your Thursday?
What are your plans for Mother’s Day this weekend?


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...