Wednesday, May 16, 2012

[Sour] Cream [Stout] For Me

Well, ladies and gentlemen, if I don’t see another Excel worksheet for a good long while that would be okay with me!  Today I did nothing but stare at one and manipulate it’s filters and sorting capabilities.  That and I looked through old paper records that were literally as old as me.  I had to correlate the two.  It was nuts…and I’m doing it again tomorrow and for the foreseeable future.




Anyways, the day started with another awesome breakfast cake.  This one was made with chocolate protein powder and covered in Nutella.  Seriously, everything is great with Nutella.  It’s a “cure-all”.

IMG_7452

The morning was spent at work and finally at noon-ish Phillip came and unburied me from my stack of old records for lunch.  We were the only two in the break room so we had a pretty quiet time, both of us eating in silence and playing on our phones/the work computer.  I had a salad with scant veggie toppings (I really needed to hit up the produce section), nutritional yeast, flax seed, salad seasoning, and honey roasted peanuts.  I dressed it in sweet and spicy French. (Sorry for the awful cell phone picture.)

downsized_0515121235

I worked a bit more after lunch and then headed over to the student room to learn about congenital hearing loss.  The genetics are so complicated that I printed off a nice big packet to familiarize myself with it and man is there a lot to know.  Lordie!  I also read up on agenesis of the corpus callosum.  Crazy stuff.  There are some that think there are more people walking around this world with no corpus callosum but we just never have a legit reason to look at their brains so we never find out.  Weird huh?  While I was prepping I snacked on my apple.

IMG_7453
\
Then, after remembering how hungry I was almost immediately after only having an afternoon apple yesterday, I munched a peanut granola bar to help tide me over.

IMG_7454

I then caught the shuttle home and proceeded to take a leisurely stroll down to the supermarket.  I bought some produce to amp up my salads again (seriously, lettuce, celery, carrots, and green pepper hardly constitutes a good one) as well as some beer in preparation for a recipe this weekend.  Last night, David and I went out for dinner and to watch the basketball game and it was there are the local pub that I found a beer I really liked: Bell’s Double Cream Stout.  So at the grocery today, I found another cream stout and figured I would try it.

IMG_7455

Delicious.  It has a bit more acidity than the one from last night but I like it still.  And that is saying something coming from me, Miss Wine and Hard Liquor Liker.  Anyways, before I got my cook on (and before I tasted the beer) I did a quick workout of 18 minutes on each the elliptical and the stationary bike as well as 15 minutes of abdominal exercises.  I may have started Divergent while I worked out and I may already be kind of sucked in.


I had seen a great sour cream and rice casserole in my Google reader yesterday and I knew it had my name written all over it so I set out to make it tonight.  I made some tweaks to the recipe to make it my own, and to make it vegetarian.  I added in sautéed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms.  I used rehydrated TVP instead of ground meat and I split the cup of cheese into half a cup freshly grated cheddar and a fourth a cup of nutritional yeast (“nooch”).  I also added minced garlic, cumin, onion powder, and paprika to the plain tomato sauce.  Lastly, I used brown rice rather than white, you know, it being a more complex carb and all.  The results: deliciousness.  It was fabulous.  The creaminess from the sour cream and cottage cheese with the great TVP crumbles and soft veggies.  I loved my portion.  And of course, the best part is the seven servings of leftovers I have!  Because, seriously, that’s what happens when you have a single girl in the apartment and a 9x13 pan of casserole.

IMG_7456

I ended up freezing three scoops and keeping four in the fridge figuring I’ll have one tomorrow for dinner before Ascension Mass at 7p and then the other three will make great lunches at school next week.  Now I’m off to read more about hereditary hearing loss before I fall asleep.  See everyone for Thursday then it’s only one more day till the weekend!

Questions: What is your favorite dish for leftovers?
Do you know anyone who has hearing loss?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...