Monday, May 7, 2012

Creamy Dreamy

Summer schedule here I come!

I kicked off my first day of my first rotation of my first semester as a second year with a hefty dose of pellets at work.  First though, I had a nice breakfast.  I brought back an old favorite: the breakfast cake!

IMG_7272

40g (~1/2 cup) oat bran
1 tbsp wheat bran
1.5 tbsp of vanilla protein powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Stevia
1 egg white
2 tbsp of almond milk

I topped it with a thick slather of peanut butter, maple syrup, chia and flax.  I had almost forgotten how delightful this breakfast is.  Seriously it was tasty and kept my tummy full for close to five hours.  I sometimes forget how a good breakfast makes the rest of the day so much more doable.

I headed to work first thing and ended up taking spectrophotometer readings on a whole bunch of DNA samples.  Then Kelsey and I started on the 62 pellets that needed harvesting.  Lots of DNA hanging in the balance.  It took almost two hours to get through 2/3rds of it all.  Even had a write some kit numbers on my pants to keep everything straight.

IMG_7273

By that time it was our lunch break.  In the break room I heated up some lentils mixed with the last of my Hawaiian chicken.

downsized_0507121222

I originally was going to have an apple on the side but then I ended up digging into Kelsey’s almost too ripe strawberries.

downsized_0507121235

Then it was back to pellets for us.  Thankfully I skipped out of the lab around 2p and headed to the student room to do some logbook organization.  I also read up on spasmus nutans.  While working I munched on an apple to curb my hunger.

IMG_7274

Around 4:30 I grabbed the shuttle home and I spent the late afternoon surfing the internet because I haven’t really had time to just do whatever during an afternoon in a while.  Stupid finals.  Anyways, it was lovely to just kill time without feeling like I was being a bad student for not doing homework or something.  Finally I moved along to the gym for an elliptical workout while reading Women’s Running.  I also did some abdominal work when I got back to my apartment.  Then it was well past time for dinner.  I was starved!  I heat up a sauté pan with a bit of olive oil and minced garlic and dropped in onions and tempeh.  While those were searing to a beautiful golden brown, I winged it and made a cilantro lime cream to go with the teriyaki stir-fry. Check out the recipe below!  I spread the cream all over a wheat wrap and then dumped on the tempeh and company.

IMG_7275IMG_7276

It was very, very delicious!  On the side I tried a new kind of simply salad inspired by Kath’s post yesterday.  She used field greens and goat cheese, I used spring mix and feta (along with some grape tomatoes).  We both dressed our salads with honey, olive oil, and salt.  It was an incredible bowl of yumminess!

IMG_7277

Two DVR’d episodes of Grey’s Anatomy later (oh my goodness I would never want to take the medical board examination thingy they have to take to become doctors, it looks terrifying!) I reached for a bit of dessert.  I used the other half of my shortcake from church a week ago and I spread it with some leftover frosting I kept in the fridge.  I cracked my Trader Joe’s sugar, chocolate, & coffee grinder over top too.

IMG_7278

Perfect way to end the day.  Now I’m off to work on my first assignment for my Teratogens rotation.  I have to do definitions of a whole bunch of statistics and experimental words like ‘case study’, ‘relative risk’, ‘p-value’, and ‘maternal toxicity’.  Have a lovely night!

Lime Cilantro CreamA DNA and Dessert original recipe.

A nice, simple, quick-to-make cream that compliments all sorts of Asian-y dishes like teriyaki marinaded anything!  Makes 2 tablespoons.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 tbsp light sour cream
1/2 tsp lime juice
1 heaping tsp dried cilantro
1/8 tsp ground ginger
2 cracks black pepper

How to:
1. Mix it all up and enjoy!  I suppose you could make this a bit earlier than you intend to use it to allow the flavors to marry a bit.

Question: Ever tried a less-than-traditional salad dressing like honey/olive oil?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...