Saturday, October 22, 2011

Do Margaritas Help Shin Splints?

Thank goodness for Friday!  What a week it has been!

Friday is typically my long run day so I woke up and pre-fueled with a date stuffed with homemade cinnamon almond butter.

IMG_4224

I microwaved this bite and a half for 10 seconds and it just melted in my love.  Yum.  I was on the phone with mom in the early morning and then suited up for my long run over in the fitness center.

I have been getting the beginnings of shin splints in my left leg so I decided to decrease both the incline and speed for my run.  I did 4 miles in 39 minutes at an incline of one and I felt pretty good after.  I’m trying to convince myself that if I run below a certain speed or even take walk breaks during my long run that that isn’t cheating.  Honestly, it doesn’t matter how long it takes you to finish as long as you actually do so.  =)

After my run I quickly made my way back to the apartment and hopped in the shower.  I then made myself a refueling breakfast that I ate while doing final packing for the wedding weekend trip I was about to embark on.  For breakfast/brunch I reheated the last leftover baked French toast slice I brought home and topped it with chai latte protein frosting (2T plain yogurt whipped with 10g of protein powder), maple syrup, and chia seeds.

IMG_4225

Honestly this was one of the best meals I have had in a while.  It was all I could do to keep myself from shoveling it into my face.  So good!

Meal finished, all packed, and out the door I went.  First up, massage and chiropractic adjustment appointment.  I conveniently made my way to the office sans traffic since at 11:15a most everyone who is going to work is already there.  I arrived just in time and my massuse ended up working on my shins a bit more than normal and my neck which is where I was carrying all my tension over this past week.  It felt amazing to get those knots out.  My chiropractor then did a bunch of adjusting and she even adjusted my left ankle, knee, and TIBIA!  Who knew you could even do that?!?!  Hopefully all this work on my shin will help it not hurt so much.  I’m also considering compression sleeves too for it.

trisports_2182_782731255

Too bad they’re so expensive.  Perhaps getting an ACE bandage first will help.

After the appointment I drove myself to visit Jack.  On the way I snacked on celery, carrots, and green pepper.

IMG_4227

There were also two pieces of candy, a peppermint and an orange Hershey’s kiss, that were hanging around but I didn’t end up having them mostly because I was too busy rocking out to loud music to care.  When I arrived I was a bit hungry again so I had some yogurt with animal crackers on top.

IMG_4228IMG_4230

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seriously Chobani makes my world.  The creaminess is unbeatable and the taste is awesome.  It definitely hit the spot.  Later that night Jack and I went out for margaritas and Mexican food with a close friend, Stephanie.  We started off with strawberry, mango, and pina colada margaritas. (P.S. I apologize for the iPhone photos ahead of time…)

photo (3)

They were huge and delicious and we enjoyed them with our chips and (rather spicy tonight) salsa while perusing the menu.

photo (4)

I ended up ordering the Fajitas Cozumel which had chicken, steak, shrimp, chorizo, and pineapple components as well as lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole, refried beans, and sour cream.

photo (2)photo (5)

The whole thing was incredible and I stuffed my face with it using corn tortillas on the side.  Wow.  The pineapple really added a great flavor.  Jack ended up with a steak dish that was covered in some kind of cheese that was just the right blend of salty and creamy.  Also, the grilled onions and mushrooms were to die for.

photo (1)photo

On the whole we ended up spending three hours catching up with each other and I couldn’t have asked for a better time.  At the end we all agreed we had eaten wayyyyy too much but oh well, we were too distracted by one another to care.  =D

Jack and I watched Chicago before heading to bed.  He had never seen it and I figured it was sort of “on theme” since we are departing this morning (Saturday) for a wedding up there.

We quickly fell asleep afterwards and this morning before our workout, I snagged a super fresh peanut butter and jelly half sandwich to fuel my session.

IMG_4231IMG_4232

Honestly, you cannot beat the fresh berries.  They were perfect and super juicy.  At the fitness center I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and boy was it hard.  My poor legs were so tired!  After we both finished we came back, showered, dressed, ate a quick refueling early lunch (I had unpictured mango 2% Chobani with raw oatmeal) and we are currently heading out to Chicago for my cousin’s wedding.  Can’t wait!  Recap of the sure-to-be beautiful event coming later in the weekend.  Have a great one!

Can’t believe she’s getting married again!  How exciting.

Questions: Have you ever had shin splints? What did you do to combat them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...