Thursday, October 27, 2011

Dishes Need Done

So if you really knew me, you would know that I always apologize for the state of my apartment when any guest comes over.  It doesn’t matter if it is my best friend in the world, my boyfriend, my mother, or a random friend, I always apologize.  The funny part is, according to most, I have absolutely nothing to say sorry for.  Well today, I would beg to differ…


Just look at that sink!  Honestly, this is what happens when a single lady in the city has a midterm late in the week and spends all her time studying… Since the test was today, I finally had time to do dishes.


Much better, huh?  I thought so.

Like I mentioned just a moment ago, today was the big exam: the prenatal genetic counseling midterm.  I pumped myself up with an awesome breakfast of nonfat yogurt mixed with some peanut flour, wheat puffs, cinni-crunch cereal, and chocolate/peanut butter puffins.  I added sliced banana on top and a dollop of Biscoff spread.


When I arrived after a long walk to class, despite not wanting to take the darn test, and resenting it for all it was worth because I had to study sooooo much for it, I was actually happy to sit down and just go at it.  I figured at that point, either way, it would be over soon enough.  To my VERY pleasant surprise I knew a lot of information.  The exam was a whole bunch of multiple choice questions and a few short answer.  I blanked on one of the short answer ones but I think I made up for it on the bonus question page (I was also surprised there was one of these!).  All told, I finished in just over an hour and I felt really great overall.

After the test I hunkered down in the student room and did four and a half solid hours of work on my role play preparation for Wednesday.  Somewhere around one I realized I hadn’t eaten yet so I snacked on some colby-jack cheese I had brought this morning when I was thinking I would only spend two hours max in the student room.


Obviously not a huge snack but it was enough to get me through until I ended up leaving around 2:30 for home.  Outside was dreary and cold so I walked quickly and arrived around 3 pretty chilled to the bone.  I decide to warm up with a big bowl of homemade French onion soup and some Asian sauce cucumbers.


Great late lunch and it warmed me right up, the main point, right?  I spent the immediate afternoon watching TV and catching up on my Google Reader before heading to the fitness center for a 30 minute elliptical workout followed by a 16 minute stationary bike ride.  It felt really good to get sweaty again, especially after yesterday which was my rest day.  When I got back to the apartment I realized that my dinner was going to take a while to cook so I figured I should refuel before showering and getting started.


Enter the best peanut butter and jelly sandwich I have had in a loooooong time.  Honestly, peanut butter scares me calorically sometimes so I rarely have it around.  I have taken to using peanut flour (mixed with water) in the form of Bell Plantation’s PB2.  Don’t get me wrong, it is great and I do like the flavor but there is something about rich, creamy, salty, sweet peanut butter that just makes me melt.  Because of this, I may or may not have swooned over this sandwich.  It was that good.

After I picked myself up off the floor, I shower and then started on dinner.  Eggplant Coconut Curry once again made the kitchen scene!  I so loved it the first time I made it that I thought it really needed to make another appearance.


This baby simmered away for 25 minutes and then I dolled out a nice helping and topped it with honey roasted peanuts.


Honestly my favorite part of this whole dish is the chopped apricots.  They are to die for.  Seriously, make this and try it.  You’ll love it.  Pair it with white wine like I did and we’ll call it a night.


While I had dinner, I worked on some database entry and talked to mom.  She caught me up on puppy Tasha news and some stuff about my daddy.  She and I also planned some of the food needed for our Thanksgiving holiday vacation.  When she was starting to get sleepy we ended the call and I continued to work for a bit.  When I reached a break point I started work on my role play, again. 

Dessert topped off my night.  I warmed a dark chocolate cookie and smeared it with peanut butter.  I then added three kinds of ice cream, some marshmallows, chocolate and caramel sauce.



Ladies and gentlemen, I almost forgot.  Guess what came in the mail today?!?!  My new, bright orange calf/shin compression sleeves!!!


I have been getting the beginnings of shin splints and the last thing I want to do is develop full blown ones so I have started running a bit slower, decreasing the incline on the treadmill, and I got these to support my calves/shins.  I have read a ton of reviews and they are all positive so I have high hopes.  I’m going to break them in on Saturday for my long run.


Can’t wait!

Questions: Have you ever used calf/shin compression to alleviate shin splints? How’d they work for you?


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...