Thursday, October 6, 2011

I Seldom Hope I’m Wrong

When I woke up this morning there was this pumpkin glow across the sky.  How very fall fitting, right?  Breakfast was a breakfast cake of epic proportions.  I did a straight vanilla protein base and then topped it half/half with Nutella and Biscoff.  To that I added maple and chia seeds.

IMG_3915

Hubba, hubba.

I realize I might be weird by saying this but I totally ate it in halves.  Each bite was either one topping or the other.

IMG_3917

Because today was a dress up day in order to be able to go on rounds (this is always a hit or miss thing but we are consistently hopeful that there will be patients to see) I decided to bust out some special earrings.  To compliment the subtle yellow and peach tones in the rest of my outfit I slipped on the drop earrings my daddy got for me for Christmas.  They’re gorgeous.

IMG_3926

All dolled up, I walked to school and headed straight for Foundations class with the first years.  We were lectured to about infertility and miscarriage as well as assisted reproductive technologies.  Not only did we learn about the topics but we focused on how we would counsel patients referred for these reasons.  This was kind of right up my alley so I was happy.  After class, which ran long by the way, I head off to an appointment at noon across campus.  On the way I snacked on a gala apple.

IMG_3919

Perfect thing to eat walking through the sunshine in 75+ degree weather.  It felt like early summer once again.  Too bad it’s fall verging on winter temperatures overnight.  Oh well, my walk was nice.  At one I walked back to the student room to grab my lunch.  I met up with a good friend to eat and catch up outside enjoying the weather.  We ate in “the courtyard with red tables”.  I call it this because it was the only way we both knew what place the other was talking about.  We couldn’t use building names or locations, just “red tables” and BAM, we were there.  Silly us.

IMG_3920IMG_3921IMG_3922IMG_3923

For lunch I had a yogurt mess of wheat puffs, cinnamon crunch, honey squares, and chocolate crispy oats.  I threw in some chia seeds for good measure and mixed it with nonfat plain yogurt.

IMG_3924

It was cool, crunchy, refreshing, and definitely what I wanted.  My friend had peanut butter crackers (the Ritz looked divine), Cheez-Its, and an apple.  Total opposite lunches, perfectly compatible conversation.  We only departed because I had class at 2p and she had to get back to work.

Two o’clock session this week was the presentation of two syndromes: Ehlers-Danlos (EDS) and Bardet-Biedl (BBS).  I was already familiar with EDS because I did my first role play on it but BBS was totally new to me.  The second year student who gave the BBS presentation was super invested in it (it’s his thesis topic) and really excited to be talking about it.  I can see why though, the syndrome is just complex enough to keep you interested but easy enough to make it not a pain in the behind.

Other interesting topics of the week: Zellweger syndrome, adrenoleukodystrophy, and glycogen storage disorder IV (Andersen disease) which are all possible differentials for babies who are "floppy" at birth.  I can't imagine what I would be like to have a child that was hypotonic at birth and not be able to know what was wrong right away.  There are just too many possibilities right off the bat.  Really, though, all of them are bad.  I seldom hope I'm wrong about a diagnosis but I would want to be wrong if it was any of those nasty ones above.

In Dysmorphology, we started talking about the neck and chest and a second year gave us a supplementary lecture on some syndromes that include significant chest and neck abnormalities.  We finished early so I headed home and decided to stop and pick up a prescription on the way. I needed to pick up more Stevia but I was reminded of just how much more Marsh charges for it than Walmart so I didn’t buy it and rather decided to stop by a Walmart tomorrow when I’m coming back from my massage/adjustment appointment.  At home I watched a bit of TV and eventually chowed down on more leftover pizza for dinner.

IMG_3930

I blotted this time but the plate still ended up with an oily glean.  Oh well, still delish.  Dessert came later in the evening (after much more TV) and it was a nice topper to the day.  I warmed a peanut-scotch banana muffin and then added some Kentucky Delight ice cream and caramel sauce.

IMG_3931

I don’t think there are words for how great this combination is.  The muffin is insanely good and then it gets all soggy in the melted brown sugar ice cream.  Wow.  I want another bowl.

Confession: At this point in the night I have made my way through the majority of my DVR.  Hmm, what to watch now do now…  I have a long run planned in the morning so I’ll probably head to bed here eventually.  I think I might read a few chapters in this lovely book I just started the other day:



So far I’m loving it.  I’ll admit I’m only a few pages in but I liked the movie so I have high hopes.  Perhaps tomorrow after I have read more I can fill you all in a bit more!

Now, for your geeked out Star Wars watching pleasure:


Doesn’t this just warm your heart?  How awesome must that child feel?  I wish I could have been that cool as a child.  Though, in my defense, we didn’t have such cool car technology back then… Yea, that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

Questions: Have you ever read Julie & Julia?
What were your thoughts?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...