Friday, October 7, 2011

Toast Two Ways

Friday is long run day in my world.

I got up around 9am and read in bed a little just because I could.  I so rarely get the chance to just lay around and do something I want to do so I thoroughly enjoyed that moment or two.  When I got up I prepared a pre-run snack of a sunbutter stuffed date heated for 8 seconds.


The heating makes it super soft and it basically melts in your mouth.  Yum.  I slipped into workout gear and headed to the gym.  Once there I set the TV in front of my treadmill to some trashy TV show (I think it was some Housewives of ______ City) so give me something to look at, hooked up my music, and set out running at 7.5mph.  I covered the display with my jacket so by the time I let myself look at it I realized I had gone over 4 miles!  Sorry for the blurry picture but it’s hard to take a picture for proof when you’re jogging…


After doing a 5-6 minute cool down I hopped off, stretched my leg muscles out, and headed back to the apartment to get in a quick shower.  For a refueling breakfast I was craving toast.  But who wants two pieces of toast that look the same?  Not I, so I ended up with both sweet and savory pieces.  First I learned how to poach an egg in the microwave.








This is an awesome technique and one I will definitely be using when I don’t want to dirty a fry pan or boil water on the stove to properly poach.  With my drained egg in hand I plopped it on a piece of toast and cracked some pepper on top.  This piece was side by side with my sweet piece smeared with peanut butter and chocolate coconut cajeta.


I ended up breaking the poached egg and the yolk was slightly more cooked than I would have liked (I’ll cook it 20 seconds less next time) but I still smeared it all over the toast and devoured it.


I have a feeling this breakfast might show up a bit more in my life.  It was nice, quick, and filling.  I scarfed it down and headed out to my massage and adjustment appointments.  The massage was awesome and really relaxing and apparently my chiropractor is very pleased with my spine’s progress.  Yay!

I wanted to stop on my way home at a Walmart to pick up more Stevia because they easily have the best price ($6.56 as opposed to over $8 most other places).  FYI, you cannot type in “Walmart” to a TomTom and expect it to tell you where the nearest one is.  Instead you get this screen:


Very unhelpful…

You have to type in “Wal-mart”.  Lesson learned.  When I finally arrived at one, I was greeted with a nice surprise.  Great Value has gotten on the Stevia train!


They only sell the individual packets right now, and I buy the bulk bag, but hopefully this means that a bulk Great Value Stevia product is in the works.  I would be a fan of that for sure.  I used the two dollars I saved on the Stevia to purchase a wonderful looking 71% dark chocolate bar.


It’s been a while since I had some quality dark chocolate.  It was calling my name.

At this point in the day I realized a random bruise on the palm of my hand.  Who gets bruised there?  How did it happen?  I have no idea…


When I got home from the appointment/shopping trip I was hungry so I made myself some popcorn and apples tossed in yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and oats.


It definitely hit the spot.  I was nice and full while reading some chapters for homework.  Around 4:45 I got dressed to go out to a bar called Howl at the Moon.


I met April and we walked downtown together.  We became master construction navigators by the end of it all.


The place was bigger than I expected and had a huge bar.  We were there for a party so we got in without a cover charge and had free food from 5:30-8p along with half priced drinks.


I started with an amaretto sour and some food.


Everyone trickled in and the band started playing.  We had a really nice time.  Eventually a bunch of second and first years decided we should do shots so someone ordered me a chocolate cake one and oh my word was it good.  Something about cookie dough vodka and chocolate syrup and you have my heart right there.


After that I grabbed a beer just before 8 while they were still half price and hunkered down with some friends to watch the dueling pianos show.


It was fun entertainment.  They sang a bunch of songs that most of the people there knew and they had ample crowd participation.  It amazes me sometimes the things people will do when they are intoxicated…


After a bit we moved to a restaurant with an outdoor seating area right down the street.


The first and second years were joined by some medical students and we just enjoyed the 70 degree night.  It was gorgeous.

What a night.  I so rarely do nights out like this.  It was a nice change of pace for sure.

Highlight of the day: a card from my parents arrived in the mail.  It lifted my heart.


Question: What is your drink of choice when you go out?


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...