Sunday, October 9, 2011

One Bite, Two Bites, More?

Like the last few Sundays I participated in parish breakfast this morning.

Before heading to the church I had two apricot bites: one with sunbutter and the other with Nutella.

IMG_3981

I decided to walk today because it was a gorgeous morning.  High sixties at 9:30am is totally the way to go.  The sun was shining and I was a happy camper.  When I arrived I was put to work on scrambling the eggs.  The act of cooking eggs is really cool.  They start out liquid and then end up coagulating and forming this great spongy deliciousness.  Anyways, it’s neat and I may be a total nerd for saying it but yea, it’s what I think.

We served a total of 18 people this morning which is a tie with last week.  Today’s special was biscuits and gravy and as we all know, I am a sucker for this dish.  After we had finished the line of people ordering breakfast and cleaned up a bit I decided to take my turn at the special.

IMG_3982

I used half a biscuit (they were all cut in half to make sure we had enough for everyone) and topped it with some gravy.  I dug in expecting to be wowed and in all honesty I wasn’t.  I took three or four bites total and decided the rest just wasn’t worth it.  I threw the remainder away and continued with other kitchen work.  This was a big triumph for me.  I normally eat everything on my plate even if it doesn’t blow my mind with flavor.  I figure I should kick that habit and only eat the stuff I really love.  I was proud of myself.

I departed the church and walked home but instead of going to my apartment I hopped in the car and went to Kroger.  I’m planning on making some French onion soup tomorrow night so I was in need of Vidalia onions along with beef stock.  While I was in the aisle I learned the difference between beef BROTH and beef STOCK.  I bought the right one I think.  Can’t wait to make the soup either.  It’s a crockpot recipe which makes it super easy peasy and manageable.  I’ll let you know how it turns out!

When I got home I was kind of hungry given my relatively small breakfast.  I had the last of the leftover pizza.

IMG_3983

It’s officially gone now!  With a full stomach, I spend the afternoon reading more material on grief and the patient as well as some new stuff on miscarriages.  I feel pretty prepared for this week and I’m really happy that it’s an “off week” so we have a bit of time to breathe.  After being productive I decided a good sweat session would round out the early afternoon nicely.  I threw on gym clothes and did the elliptical for 18 minutes followed by the reclined stationary bike for another 18 minutes.  I was terribly sore from my weights session yesterday so I figured strict cardio would be best.

I was contemplating my refueling snack on the way home and came up with this awesome bowl to satisfy me.

IMG_3984

In the mix: wheat puffs (just got more today at Kroger!), Honey Nut Cheerios (free sample I got in the mail), plain fat free yogurt, some chocolate PB2, and sliced banana.  It was really good and definitely hit the spot.

My next stop was a shower and then a whole bunch of Mad Men episodes and Sudoku puzzles.  I think I’ve gone through 10-15 just tonight, all levels.  I also decided to paint my nails before cooking up some food.

IMG_3987IMG_3988

 

 

 

 

 

 

Orange, it’s kind of my thing.

Dinner was a casserole inspired by this recipe.  I modified it a bunch based on what I had in the fridge.  Sadly my goat cheese had molded so I subbed in ricotta cheese and an egg white instead of tahini butter.  Chickpeas replaced the red kidney beans because they were hanging out in the fridge asking to be eaten and I threw in some sundried tomatoes as well.  I used dried parsley and added in some garlic powder.  Because I don’t have a small casserole dish I used two ramekins instead.

IMG_3989

I paired one of the mini casseroles with a piece of toast smeared with grilled pineapple chipotle salsa.  Weird combination but it was what I wanted so I decided to honor that.

IMG_3991

More Sudoku and TV episodes followed my meal and eventually I chowed down on dessert in two parts.  I’ll give you one guess as to what the first part was.  Three…two…one…  If you guessed a s’more then you are correct!!

IMG_3992

A Reese’s s’more: the perfect blend of chocolate and peanut butter and ooey gooey marshmallow-y goodness.  I do like this dessert but it’s making me really want roasted marshmallows sometime soon.  Nuked is nice, but toasted is terrific.

The second part of dessert was a peanut-scotch banana muffin with Kentucky Delight ice cream and caramel sauce.

IMG_3993

Also had a side of candy corn.  I love fall for this reason.  It’s one of many but candy is pretty sweet.  =D  I’m off to go and read more of Julie&Julia in bed before getting some shut eye.  See you for the start of the work week tomorrow.

Question: What breakfast dish are you a sucker for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...