Monday, September 12, 2011

Drowning in Prenatal Articles

Welcome to the week!

This morning kicks off the second full week of September.  I can’t believe it.

My first meal consisted of a peanut butter breakfast cake topped with Nutella, chia seeds, and some maple syrup.

IMG_3543

I this combo was basically out of this world.  I could have eaten three seven more easily.  I was a happy girl on my walk to class.  Who wouldn’t be if they were toting flourless chocolate brownies to school?

IMG_3540IMG_3541

When I arrived in the student room we headed out to Communications class were we tackled assisting patients with decision making.  It’s kind of crazy how big some of these decisions are that we are helping clients to make.  Some are even as large and gravid as life and death.  Scary stuff.  Today’s discussion really brought everything into perspective.  We have a really important job, one to be taken super seriously.  Not that I didn’t before but today brought it out in much more stark contrast.

After class a few students had to take their pedigree exam so the rest of us hung out on our computers and worked away.  I printed off all my lay literature and support group materials for my case prep examination due tomorrow as well as my primary articles.  I finished everything off with a fresh copy of the case prep and of my patient letter.  Two things due Tuesday, check.  I also printed off the Gene Reviews article on Fabry disease, my next role play assignment due Monday (or possibly Wednesday but we won’t know until Monday).

By this time I was hungry so I busted out my broccoli macaroni and cheese leftovers that I amped up with chunk light tuna this morning.

IMG_3544

I added some garlic and onion powders to it as well along with some Old Bay seasoning.  This was a great lunch and it kept me full forever not to mention it took a while to eat which I love because it makes me feel like I am having soooo much more food than I actually am.

Metabolism met today for the second time in four weeks.  We talked about fatty acid oxidation disorders and oh my word, I have never seen more abbreviations.  To make matters a bit worse the professor talks at 700 miles a minute.  I swear he thinks 17 words ahead of where he really is in lecture.  This makes it pretty difficult to take good notes and still keep up at the same time.  Blah, hopefully it gets easier with time.

Human Genetics was up next and we spoke about X-linked inheritance.  The lecture included a lot of human conditions and I’m not sure that I actually need to know any of it in terms of specifics.  I think mostly we’ll be responsible for the patterns and main topics and such but who knows.  Not me, obviously.

After class I walked home and was amazed that I wasn’t hungry.  I skipped my snack and instead headed right to the fitness center and got my cardio on.  While watching some guilty pleasure, mind-numbing, no thought required TV (Real Housewives anyone?) I ran 1.71 miles at an average pace of about 7mph plus a 3 minute cool down.  I then did the recumbent bike for another 18 minutes.

Back in the apartment I grabbed a quick snack of a Turkish apricot and a PowerBar Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bite.

IMG_3545

I also downed one of these bad boys full of water in under 30 seconds.

IMG_3547

Yes ma’am I was a thirsty lady.  When I had rehydrated I got down to business and read five out of the eight prenatal articles due in Foundations class on Thursday.  I then took a nice, hot shower and returned to kitchen to make some dinner.  I used up another slice of lentil meatloaf, topped with ketchup, and paired it with corn (heavily peppered) and Old Bay potatoes.

IMG_3549

I used some Bavarian Sweet Mustard on the potatoes.

IMG_3548

I’m not sure it was the best idea since it was much sweeter than I remembered and it kind of contrasted pretty heavily with the savory nature of the potatoes.  This might have been exacerbated by the fact that I used sun-dried tomato infused oil to sauté the potatoes as well because it added an earthy quality that didn’t lend itself to sweet in the least.  Oh well, you live you learn.  It was still a great, balanced meal.

When I had scarfed down everything on my plate I made sure to do a final once over of my case prep exam.  I also checked out all of my pedigree exam information again.  I swear there is no way I am going to nail this one but oh well, I’ll just do the best I can.  Either way it will be over at noon tomorrow.

Later in the evening I made a stellar dessert.  To start, I really wanted a s’more.

IMG_3550

Yummy.  I never get tired of these.

Next, I made a rather ADD dessert.  In the mix: two brownies (heated) with a half serving each of Blue Bell Kentucky Delight and Birthday Cake topped with two crumbled Halloween Oreos, a dark chocolate chip cookie, candy corn, and chocolate syrup.

IMG_3552

AWESOME.  That is all.

Because I completely blanked on posting the recipe for the cookies a few days ago like I promised, I figured I would do it now before I log off!  Better late than never right?

Dark Chocolate Cookies
Modified from somewhere.  I honestly can’t remember.  Sorry!

These are great cookies that have a nice semi-cakey texture.  They remain awesomely moist and have wonderful chocolate flavor.  Also, they’re made with whole wheat flour for a nutritional boost!  Recipe makes ~12-15 cookies.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cocoa (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fine salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (fairly sure I halved this with powdered Stevia)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used a semi-sweet/dark mixture)

How to:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Cream the wet ingredients (by hand or by stand mixer).
3. Mix dry ingredients, except chips, together.
4. Add dry to wet.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Dole out tbsp size balls onto a silicone baking sheet.  Perhaps flatten the dough balls a little because they don’t spread much while cooking.
7. Bake for 14 minutes.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.  They don’t disappoint.  On that note, I must take my leave of the world.  I have breakfast at Le Peep with Jessica and April in the morning so I have to be up early.  Also, I should totally go over the pedigree stuff…again.  G’night all!

Question: Are you ADD with your desserts or are you a pretty straight forward, one item kind of person?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...