Monday, September 5, 2011

The Sunday Monday Double Play

What a weekend it was my friends!!

Sunday was a day of dancing and more dancing.  We woke up at 9:30 and I immediately got into the kitchen to make single serving protein muffins for lunch.  When Jack got out of the shower, we switched off in the kitchen and he took over making oatmeal for breakfast.  We made a big batch of plain oats with chia seeds and Stevia and then individualized them.  He added chocolate protein powder and I added a simple dollop of peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.


I ate mine on the way to the convention center and Jack waited until we got there.  He had four bites, I devoured my whole thing.

I took two back to back morning classes to learn The Big Apple swing routine. Check it out:

The routines are all the same so check out the first one until about 2:40 in the video.

When lunch rolled around I was really hungry because I’d been jumping around for two solid hours.  I dug into my maple vanilla protein muffin, grapes, apple, and hummus.


I used a new fat, butter instead of applesauce, in the muffin and it gave it a flaky texture.  Not necessarily bad, just different.  More experimenting is needed.

The afternoon classes (3 of them) were a little more disappointing than the first part of the day.  The first was a solo blues class where we learned a choreographed routine.  The second was a musicality lesson which turned into a music theory class in my opinion.  Finally, the last one was classic lindy figures, the best of the three by far.  When we finished the day, we headed home (we walked both ways again) to make some dinner.  Snackage during cooking: Turkish apricot w/ sunbutter.


I had been eyeing a great vegetarian meatloaf recipe for a while so I decided to make it.  Lentils were the main ingredient and the whole thing turned out awesome.


For sides, we had French style green beans and sliced new potatoes.  I sprinkled the starch with some Old Bay seasoning and cracked pepper on the greens.  And of course, you can’t have meatloaf without a bunch of ketchup on top.  Awesome.


I was blown away by this dish.  I think there are some things like sloppy joes or meatloaf where there is a distinct flavor profile that you really remember and you look for every time you have a bite.  I was nervous that this would fall short because it didn’t have meat in it but it delivered on every level.  So happy.  Best part: leftovers!!!!

Jack and I got ready for the dance and snacked on some Mr. Goodbar s’mores before heading back out to walk over.


They were stellar, as always.

The dance was well populated but it wasn’t as full as Saturday night’s dance.  The room was absolutely freezing so I spent a lot of time in my sweater.  I danced to the songs I liked and socialized during the others.


People really have a blast and it was fun to watch everyone dance.  I always pick up moves that way, or at least general ideas.  Sometimes I can’t figure out how they did things but it doesn’t make it any less cool.

Jack and I walked home after the dance ended at midnight and he bowed out for the night while I continued on to the car to head to the late nite dance from 12:30-3:30am.  The dance studio was actually super close to where I live but I’m not a fan of the idea of walking home alone at 3 in the morning through a new city.  Plus, with having a new car, I liked taking the time to get to know how it drives.

At the dance, I snacked on some Gardetto’s as well as crackers with peanut butter and nutella.  Fruit snacks were consumed too.  Not going to lie: nutella and pb combined is definitely my kryptonite.  I had way too much but it was so good and I was dancing so I really didn’t care too much.


All in all, the night was a success and I had some great dances.


I got home and to bed around 4am only to be woken up by Jack’s accidental alarm at 8:50.  After shutting it off and fighting to get back to sleep, we woke up later at 11:30.  Don’t you just love days off?!?!  Since it was basically lunchtime we broke our fast with the last of the lasagna.


He then took a shower and I spent some time looking up things for school.  We settled our schedules for the next two months so we know when we’ll be seeing each other since we are an hour and a fifteen minutes away from each other on a daily basis.  We have some pretty exciting stuff going on soon so I’m excited for that.  Because we needed to individually reset for heading to class tomorrow, he left around 1p and I headed to the fitness center.

I got on the treadmill first and did 10 minutes at 6.5, 7, and 7.5mph. The majority of the time was spent at the highest speed with a 30 second 8mph sprint thrown in at the end.  Next, I did the reclined stationary bike for 35 minutes while I went over my syndrome data sheet for the role play happening in Communications class on Wednesday.  When I finished my cardio session I headed to the weight room for some free weights:

  • Tricep Dips: 3x10 reps under my own body weight
  • Exercise Ball Crunches: 3x20 reps
  • Bicep Curls: 3x10 reps with 10lb dumbbells each hand
  • Standing Oblique Crunches: 3x10 reps w/ 10lb dumbbell on each side
  • Squats with Overhead Press: 3x10 reps w/ 10lb dumbbells each hand

Finished and feeling awesome, yet challenged, I went back to the apartment and showered.  I then refueled with a piece of 10 grain toast slathered in peanut butter and topped with two tomato slices and cracked black pepper.


It may sound weird or silly or gross but honestly, don’t knock it until you have tried it. It was awesome.  I can’t wait to have it again!

Because Marsh was having a super duper sale with regards to Blue Bell Ice Cream I got my behind over to the store and found a brand new shipment of flavors.  I brought home Kentucky Delight and Birthday Cake.  I had been wanting to try the Kentucky Delight flavor for a while so I was so pumped for this great sale.  Normally these half gallons are $7.19 but with the sale they were only $2.99.  Plus I had a $1 off coupon.  Yay!!


The rest of the day consisted of laundry and schoolwork.  I finally figured out that I need to use the highest heat setting on the dryers in the basement in order to make sure everything gets dried during a single 60 minute cycle.  Yay for dry clothes!!!

For dinner I whipped up a scrumptious omelette.  The players: shrimp, bacon, sundried tomatoes rehydrated in water and balsamic vinegar, and goat cheese.


The creaminess of the cheese, the crispiness of the bacon, the slight chew on the shrimp, and the pop of the sundried tomatoes just made this fantastic.  It could have used a sauce but I was at a loss as to what kind so I left it “dry” and used some pepper instead.  Yum.


Happiness in several bites!

More schoolwork followed dinner and finally I got to the part of the day I was really looking forward to: dessert!  After all, I had just bought some new ice cream.  So can you guess what I had?


Both kinds!!

I had never had Birthday Cake ice cream with chunks of chocolate cake and let me tell you: I LOVE IT!  I am a chocolate person so this was great.  The Kentucky Delight has a brown sugar ice cream base and wow, it tasted incredible.  I also really dug the dark chocolate chips.

Now I am going to continue to keep going over my Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome facts in the hopes that I get everything ingrained in my head and perhaps check out a DVRed show before an early bedtime.  Tomorrow is fixin’ to be a long day because we have a poster session from 4-6p, five hours after our only class of the day finishes.

Happy Labor Day everyone and g’night to all.  I hope this weekend was restful!

Question: What did you do with your extra day off?


  1. Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your blog, and getting some great food ideas as I start my own genetic counselling education!

  2. @Leslie I'm so glad you're loving it! What program are you attending? =D

  3. I'm at University of Toronto :) And I'm going to make that lentil meatloaf!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...