Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hot Enough For Ya?

What a Thursday!

First of all, welcome to September.  Obviously Mother Nature decided to celebrate by bringing on a heat wave.

Sept Weather

Things started off with breakfast in the form of oatmeal.  I mixed in some 5 fruit protein powder, chia seeds, and stevia and then topped it with a heaping dollop of sunbutter.

IMG_3349

In my rush to finish eating, make sure I had everything for class today, and take out the trash before my walk to school I completely forgot my cell phone at home.  I hate that.  I feel disconnected and unreachable.  What if something were to happen?  How would I know?  Anyways, regardless, I was a trooper and dealt with it just fine by using Google chat in between school obligations today.

After learning all about how to draw pedigrees and all the information to include and to ask, the first years headed back to the student room and I got going on refining my support group/lay literature assignment.  I also read some articles for Dysmorphology class.  Just before Preclinic Conference, I ate the lunch that I brought to pick up my blood sugar.  The amped up mac and cheese leftovers did the trick.

IMG_3351

Still amazing after a few days of all the flavors meshing.  Yum.  In the afternoon, we had Syndrome Review class orientation which consisted of “here’s the syllabus, here’s the schedule” and took no more than 10 minutes.  I am the only first year who has to present a syndrome before Christmas break so I’m nervous about that but I have been assignment Osteogenesis Imperfecta (the first link is much less medically oriented than the second one so pick the best one to satisfy your curiosity) and I actually read Handle with Care, a book written about a young girl with this disorder, just this summer.  So, needless to say, I’m feeling optimistic about it.  The presentation is on December 8th. This is good.  It means I have time.

When our brief orientation was over, we had two hours to kill before Dysmorph.  I spent my two hours building my visual aid portfolio (also coincidentally due on December 8th) and boy was I productive.  There are 30 slides we need to have and I found/made/perfected 27 of them!  Awesome.  I feel so good about it.  Despite it being due so much later in the semester, having it all but off my plate now is a great feeling.  During the end of my two hours of hard work I snacked on a fuji apple with homemade hummus and a chocolate hazelnut ball.  It was a nice pick me up before our next class.

IMG_3353

This was our first class session for Dysmorphology.  It’s basically going to be a vocab class and that’s a bit scary simply because there are a lot of words and I know basically none of them.  Today’s lecture about the history of dysmorphology was not bad but then we got into embryology and my head came close to exploding.  This is going to be a challenge class, for sure.  I walked home after school was done for the day and when I got home I changed and hit up the fitness center.  18 minutes on the elliptical followed by 18 minutes on the reclined stationary bike got me all sweaty and ready for dinner.  Now let me tell you this, I had been looking forward to this meal all day long.  I wanted some Old Bay potatoes!  I wanted cheese!

IMG_3354

I made this incredible salad with all sorts of veggies: romaine lettuce, celery, carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, onion, Italian cheese, and warm-from-the-skillet Old Bay potatoes.  I topped it all with ranch and shook it up.

IMG_3355

I have come to the conclusion that warm potatoes are my FAVORITE addition to a salad.  They warm the dressing and make it super aromatic and they have a great chew.  I was a happy, happy girl.  After dinner I worked on my family’s pedigree as well as chatting with my best friend and practicing by taking his family’s history.  I can’t believe how much information has to be on one sheet of paper.  It’s incredible.  I also read an article and then called it a night.  I haven’t had a night that I’ve been done with homework before ten so it felt really nice.  To reward myself I got my dessert on.  I couldn’t get last night’s s’more out of my head so I made another one!

IMG_3356

Love the Mr. Goodbar chocolate because every now and then you get that peanutty flavor that just blows you away.  Stellar!  I then moved on to a bowl of moose tracks ice cream over top a caramel TimTam.

IMG_3358

I think from here I’m going to collapse on the couch in a totally blissed out state and be extremely pleased that I don’t have to wake up at any certain time tomorrow and that I don’t have class.  Also good news: this weekend is all about swing dancing (we’re talking for hours and hours in a row and until 3am in the morning) and Jack will be here. Sounds like a plan to me!

P.S. One month exactly until I run my first 5K!! Here’s to you Wine At The Line!

Wine Line Logo

Question: What are your plans for the weekend?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...