Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rainy Days = Kitchen Days

I find it really hard to deal with days where it rains ALL DAY LONG.

Days like these just make you want to curl up in bed and not move.  Am I right?

Well, seeing as I had plans…

IMG_3703

…and homework to tackle, I couldn’t just stay under the covers so I rolled out of bed and snacked on a sunbutter stuffed date to wake myself up.

IMG_3701

After getting dressed I dashed to the car and drove myself to church to avoid being soaked.  Today was my second parish breakfast!  I had the job of taking orders from patrons.  A got a few more than last time but it is still a much smaller crowd than what I was used to at my old church back in my home state.  Still fun though.

After everyone had gone through and I was about to embark on clean up duty I had a slice of today’s special: swiss chard and roasted red pepper spanish omelette.  This was stellar.  Only six eggs in the whole thing so it is wayyyyy less eggy than your traditional omelette.

IMG_3704

It was packed with chard and had the slightest awesome hint of onion and garlic too. My tummy thanked me for sure.

I finished up my duties in the kitchen and drove myself home.  When I arrived back at the apartment I got started on laundry and cooking up some of the components for my dinner plans.  Brown rice went into the rice cooker and a whole bunch of cannellini beans were brought to a slow simmer for an hour.  The whole apartment smelled awesome.

IMG_3705

Any ideas why the rice comes out with little holes in it?? Weird I know but it was nice and sticky, just like I prefer it.  I made more than I needed for the recipe too so I have leftovers!  I did the same with the beans too.  You know how I love having extra, ready-made food in the fridge. =D

After I had some studying under my belt, I was hungry so I made lunch.  Smoked gouda, sweet hot mustard, and sundried tomato grilled cheese with a side of bold chex mix and honey twist pretzels.  Halloween double stuf Oreo for dessert.

IMG_3706

The grilled cheese was really, really good.  Fairly sure gouda should be a part of all such sandwiches from here on out.  Indeed.

I continued to work on homework/study all afternoon.  I took a break around 3:30 (after a brief nap because I couldn’t keep my eyes open) to hit up the fitness center.  I did 30 minutes on the elliptical face to face with my genetics notes.  Not the nicest companion but it made me feel a bit better about taking some time out to exercise.  At least I was still getting stuff done.

When I got back to the apartment I was mildly wet not only from sweat but from the rain.  I dried off and made a bowl of cinnamon chai protein glazed pears topped with the awesome sunbutter + maple combo.

IMG_3707

I may or may not have devoured half the topping straight from the bowl… I also added some chia for an extra ooomph.  This whole dish was fantastically sweet and satisfying.  I may need to have this again soon.  Plus, I should use up my pears because they are getting exceedingly soft.

I worked more (big surprise right?) and then started on the Santa Fe casserole prep.  I had found this recipe a while ago and finally got around to making it.  I made some small revisions based on what I had on hand.  Red beans and kidney beans became cannellini beans, milk was almond milk, and only a cup of cheese rather than a cup and a half.  Also, I cooked it for 25 minutes and it was still liquid-y so I put it in for another 5 minutes and it was still not set.  I pumped the temperature to 370 and baked it for another 10 minutes and finally it was firm.

IMG_3710

I split it into four servings and scarfed down one.  Conclusions: it was a bit heavy on the chili powder (I might reduce it in half next time) and in need of garlic/onion powder and more salt (I would use 1/2-1 teaspoon instead of a pinch).  On the whole though it tasted nice and was very cheesy and stringy which is always fun and, to me at least, indicative of comfort food.

IMG_3711

I’m sure with the use of red beans and kidney beans would make it slightly more colorful… I also had a glass of white merlot wine with my meal.  It’s been a while since I indulged like this so it felt really nice.

IMG_3709

Guess what I did after dinner?

If you guessed worked more on homework and studying, you are CORRECT!  By the end of the night, or at least the portion of the night I set aside to do said work, I had 4/6 prenatal cases done, 4/5ths of my MedGen report finished, the first draft of my patient letter finished, and 5/6ths of my dysmorph presentation completed.  Not too shabby my dears.

While I finished up the last few slides of genetics I had some candy corn varieties.  Yes, that was plural.  I have three kinds.  =P

IMG_3712

When that was all done and over with, it was time for the real deal.  A cookies and ice cream sundae was called for.  I broke up my uber-large sugar cookie from McAlisters to form the bottom layer.

IMG_3713

I heated the base just a few seconds and then topped it with Birthday Cake and Kentucky Delight Blue Bell ice cream.  I also made a peanut butter chocolate sauce and drizzled that on top.

IMG_3715

I hunkered down with this bowl in front of the TV and watched the series premiere of Revenge on my DVR.  I like the show so far.  I’ll admit I mostly wanted to watch it because I’ve liked the main actress since I saw her in Everwood.  Come to think of it, she played an Emily on that show too. Hmmm, interesting.

Alrighty, well it’s been a crazy long day but look at my list:

IMG_3716

Much better right?  With that, I take my leave.  My bed is calling and I have dishes to do.  I wonder which will win.

Question: Do you push yourself homework-wise on the weekend or take a break?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...